how the windshield started
out of 27
Post on 18-Aug-2015
Embed Size (px)
- 1. How The Windshield Started
- 2. Most early cars did not have a windshield, they were manufactured with an open air design.
- 3. Drivers wore goggles to protect their eyes from the elements.
- 4. The windshield became popular because it was an improved way to protect yourself and your passengers from wind and debris.
- 5. The first windshields were made out of glass.
- 6. Instead of helping people, the shattering glass on impact would actually cause more injuries, then the windshield was meant to protect.
- 7. That is why auto manufacturers switched to using tempered glass.
- 8. Tempering is a special process which makes the glass more shatter resistant.
- 9. How A Windshield Is Made
- 10. Most windshields are made using the float method.
- 11. A special formula consisting of silica, soda ash, dolomite, cullet, and limestone mixed together, and then sent through a chamber known as the float chamber.
- 12. The float chamber is made of a sheet of molten tin, reaching a temperature of 1.
- 13. 800 degrees Fahrenheit, where the glass is passed above this section of molten tin.
- 14. The intense heat of the chamber causes the glass mixture to float above the molten tin while removing any impurities within the glass.
- 15. As the glass exits the float chamber the change in temperature causes the glass to harden just enough to move into the next chamber.
- 16. The next chamber, at around 400 degrees Fahrenheit, is much cooler than the float chamber.
- 17. This temperature allows for the annealing process where the glass is cooled slowly to make it stronger.
- 18. After exiting the last chamber the glass is cooled to room temperature and is now ready to be cut.
- 19. The section of glass is now placed into a mold that is heated to allow the glass to take the shape of a windshield.
- 20. Once the glass has taken its shape, the lamination process begins.
- 21. A layer of poly-vinyl butyral is sandwiched between two sheets of tempered glass and heated with an autoclave.
- 22. The heating process turns all the layers clear making it see-through.
- 23. Windshields Have Improved
- 24. New research is being conducted every day to develop new ways to make glass safer and more durable.
- 25. Some glass can even resist UV light, fix scratches on its own, and has anti-fog capability.
- 26. Being shatter resistant and coated to reflect some of the suns rays the windshield has now become one of the cars most important designs and safety features.
View more >
WINDSHIELD AND BACK GLASS - CAR- ?· WINDSHIELD AND BACK GLASS WINDSHIELD & BACKGLASS CAR-PAK MANUFACTURING…