HISPANIC HERITAGE MONTH September 15- October 15.
Post on 24-Dec-2015
- Slide 1
- HISPANIC HERITAGE MONTH September 15- October 15
- Slide 2
- Hispanic Heritage Month is a national holiday in the United States. It is celebrated from September 15th to October 15th.
- Slide 3
- It is a time for all of us to remember the contributions of Hispanic-Americans.
- Slide 4
- Hispanic-Americans are Spanish-speaking citizens or residents of the USA with origins in the countries of Latin America or Spain.
- Slide 5
- The word Hispanic describes people who come from Spanish- speaking countries...
- Slide 6
- Many Hispanics in the United States came from nearby places, like Mexico & Cuba; others from far away places such as Central America, South America, and Europe.
- Slide 7
- But dont forget that Spanish-speaking people settled in the USA long before the English settled along the eastern coast...
- Slide 8
- Missionaries from Spain traveled among Native Americans in present-day California and New Mexico...
- Slide 9
- Spanish explorers traveled throughout present-day Florida almost 400 years ago! Hernando De Soto CENTRAL AMERICA Juan Ponce De Leon FLORIDA Hernan Cortez MEXICO
- Slide 10
- In fact, the oldest city in the United States is St. Augustine, Florida, built by Spanish-speaking settlers...
- Slide 11
- And the rest of our history is full of famous leaders who were Hispanic!
- Slide 12
- One important Hispanic was Cesar Chavez, a migrant farm worker who worked for fair treatment of Mexican workers on American farms.
- Slide 13
- Sonia Maria Sotomayor is an Associate Justice of the Supreme Court of the United States, serving since August 2009. Sotomayor is the Court's 111th justice, its first Hispanic justice, and its third female justice.
- Slide 14
- NASA engineer and astronaut Jose Hernandez has been to space and back. Hernandez began his working life as a young boy in the farm fields of California. His parents wanted more for their children and insisted education was the answer. It was a master's degree and hard work that earned Hernandez the title of NASA astronaut in 2006. He was aboard the space shuttle Discovery in August of 2009 on a 14-day mission to the International Space Station.
- Slide 15
- Hispanic people continue to serve as leaders in all fields today...
- Slide 16
- All Americans, regardless of national origin, celebrate the vibrant Hispanic-American spirit that influences our Nation. -George W. Bush President of the United States
- Slide 17
- REVIEW: Answer the following questions: 1. National Hispanic Heritage Month is celebrated July-August May-June September-October 2. Name five countries Hispanic-Americans can trace their origin from: ______________, __________, _________________, ____________, ____________ 3. Name one Spanish explorer: _____________________ 4. T or F The oldest US city is St. Augustine, Florida. 5. T or F Sonia Sotomayor is the third female justice.
- Slide 18
- CREDITS: Speak Up for Hispanic Heritage Power Point media.okstate.edu/
View more >
September 15 October 15, 2014. Hispanic Heritage Month Each year, Americans observe Hispanic Heritage Month from September 15 to October 15, by celebrating.
Hispanic Heritage Month 2013. Hispanic Heritage Month Each year, Americans observe Hispanic Heritage Month from September 15 to October 15, by celebrating.
Hispanic Heritage Month 2012. Hispanic Heritage Month Each year, Americans observe Hispanic Heritage Month from September 15 to October 15, by celebrating.
Hispanic Heritage Month September. What is Hispanic Heritage? Each year, Americans observe National Hispanic Heritage Month from September 15 to October.
Hispanic Heritage Month begins on September 15 to October 15. Hispanic Heritage Month celebrates the history, culture, and contributions of American.
Hispanic Heritage Month Each year, Americans observe Hispanic Heritage Month from September 15 to October 15, by celebrating the rich histories, cultures,
About Hispanic Heritage Month Each year, Americans observe National Hispanic Heritage Month from September 15 to October 15, by celebrating the histories,
Hispanic Heritage Month History Hispanic Heritage Month (September 15October 15) in the United States is the period when people recognize the contributions.
Research Project. Hispanic American Heritage Month Every year on September 15 through October 15 in the United States we celebrate Hispanic American.