happy healthy nonprofit workshop
out of 69
Post on 21-Jan-2018
Embed Size (px)
- The Happy Healthy Nonprofit: Linking Self-Care and Wellbeing to Impact Beth Kanter, Master Trainer, Speaker, Author Peel Leadership Center September, 2017
- @kanter www.bethkanter.org Beth Kanter: Master Trainer, Speaker, Author and Nonprofit Thought Leader
- Poll What is your nonprofits experience with wellbeing in the workplace? Not discussed Employees are encouraged to do it on their own There are periodic activities for wellness or wellbeing Our nonprofit has a strategy/plan/policy for a comprehensive programSli.do PEEL
- Nonprofit Professionals Understanding Burnout Creating A Self-Care Plan Nonprofit Organizations Examples of bringing self-care into the workplace Slides, Links, and Handouts: http://bethkanter.wikispaces.com/peel Agenda
- Beth 399 Beths Story: Why A Book on Self-Care Healthy Range >150 Test Results
- Too Much of This
- Too Much of That
- A Little Bit of That
- Way Too Much of This . Working nights and weekends Sleep deprivation No vacation or down time
- Test Results 150
- Where do you find the time in your work day?
- Allen Kwabena Frompong Black Lives Matter NYC
- Happy Healthy Nonprofit Book http://bit.ly/happyhealthynpbook We- Care Self- Care
- Burnout is a state of emotional, mental, and physical exhaustion that occurs when we feel overwhelmed by too many demands, too few resources, and too little recovery time.
- The Symptoms of Burnout Emotional Exhaustion Cynicism Detachment Fatigue Loss of enjoyment Insomnia Pessimism Forgetfulness Impaired concentration Isolation Detachment Increased illness Loss of appetite Lack of Accomplishment Anxiety Apathy Hopelessness Depression Increased irritability Anger Lack of productivity Poor performance And burnout is sneaky!
- The 4 Stages of Nonprofit Burnout Passion Driven Passion Waning Passion Challenged Passion Depleted Take Assessment Sli.do PEEL
- What is your stress trigger? How do you react? Sli.do PEEL
- Whats Your Personal Chaos Index?
- Self-Care: Many Ways To Put On Oxygen Mask Self-Care is about revitalization. It includes any deliberate and consistent habits you create to enhance your overall well being.
- Protect Your Sleep How many hours of sleep per night does you need? What happens when you dont get enough sleep?
- Tip: Create A Calm Bedtime Routine
- Beverly Trayner-Wenger List of Standing Desk Resources http://bethkanter.wikispaces.com/walk Stand Up At Work
- Tip: Walk More
- We have no downtime 52% of smartphone owners check their phones a few times an hour or more. Behavior Addiction
- Tip: Organize Mobile Phone To Avoid Addiction Notifications from people Customized notifications Tools on home screen Scramble Apps Remove or move work apps into folders on 3rd or 4th screens during non-work hours
- Tip: Go On A News Diet Consume news for specified time and sources per day News meditation be in the present moment when consuming Remove news notifications Take a break from Facebook
- TIP: Schedule Quiet Time
- Tip: Use To Do System That Works for You
- Tip: Take Real Vacations
- Self-Care Plan Practice Goals Sphere 1: Self -Get 7-9 hours of sleep per night. -Eat more fruits and vegetables every day. -Get to 10,000 steps per day walking. Sphere 2: Others -Make a regular date with my partner and/or children one- on-one to give my relationships attention. -Divest myself of negative influences, moving consciously away from people who bring me down. Sphere 3: Environment -Stop what Im doing at least once a day to go outside. -Clear clutter from my office desk Sphere 4: Work and Money -Take comp time when Im attending work-related evening events. -Stand up from my desk every 15 minutes to stretch and walk around. Sphere 5: Tech -Set up a charging station at the front door for all of my/my familys digital devices. -Keep all my digital devices out of my bedroom and off my dinner table.
- Your Self-Care Plan Is Not One-Size Fits All
- 1) What types of self-care activities do you think would work for you? 2) What type of support do you need for your self-care plan?
- Lets Harvest the Ideas from the Conversations
- 1 Make It Tiny 2 Find A Spot 3 Train the Cycle The Secret to Creating New Self-Habits That Stick! BJ Fogg: Tiny Habits Framework
- A Simple Way To Practice Mindfulness At Work -Two Minutes of Focusing on Breath -Two Minutes of No Agenda
- Creating A Mindfulness Habit Trigger
- What is one self-care habit you want to build into your work/life starting this week? Mindful Moment
- From Self-Care to WE-Care Leadership and Culture Employee Engagement Programs and Activities Nudges and Cues Policies, Strategy
- Avoid Quick Fixes
- Wellbeing Is Embedded in the Culture
- Intentional Focus on Culture
- Crisis Response Network: Listen and Engage Employees to Shift the Culture
- Listen and Engage Employees to Shift the Culture 1: Functioning Do people have what they need to do their job? 2: Feelings Do people feel appreciated and respected? 3: Friendship Do people feel connected to one another? 4: Forward Do people feel like they have opportunities for growth? 5: Fulfillment Do people feel like they are inspired and working towards a higher purpose? Laura Putnam 5 Fs Framework
- Tip: Create Space for the Conversation
- United Way in South Dakota: Moving Together Twice daily all staff walk or movement Started with listening and engaging with employees Wellness coaching and experiment 10 years ago Now part of culture
- This is bunch of woo woo Whats the ROI of Happy and Healthy? Your Executive Director
- Fewer absences and sick days Lower healthcare costs Higher employee work satisfaction and retention Ability to attract top talent when recruiting for jobs Higher productivity Greater ability to handle stressful situations Ability to meet and exceed milestones Motivated, resilient workers Better brand ambassadors Responsive and engaged staff Return on Investment
- Getting Started Be open about self- care. Staff meeting to do assessments and create self-care plans Accountability buddies Make small changes and offer reward/praise Does not have to cost a lot of money
- How can your nonprofit nurture wellbeing instead of amplifying stress? Mindful Moment
- Summary Self-care is not just about kale smoothies and massages, it is part of doing the work Bringing well being into the workplace is all about culture change A culture of well being requires leadership and employee engagement Quick fixes dont work Benefits include recruiting top talent, retention, reduced health costs, and more Start practicing self-care and start the discussion in your workplace
- I Commit To
- Many More Tips in the Book www.bethkanter.org The Happy Healthy Nonprofit http://bit.ly/happyhealthynpbook
View more >
HEALTHY FOOD. HEALTHY KID. HAPPY MOM. Florida WIC Vendor Handbook HEALTHY FOOD. HEALTHY KID. HAPPY MOM