good shepherd welcomes you “to fully know christ’s love and in love make him fully known to...
out of 51
Post on 25-Dec-2015
Embed Size (px)
- Slide 1
- Good Shepherd Welcomes You To fully know Christs love and in love make Him fully known to all
- Slide 2
- February 17 th & 18 th, 2013 Pastor Jeff Wegner Good Shepherd Lutheran Church FIRST SUNDAY IN LENT
- Slide 3
- AS WE GATHER Each of us battles with temptation every day, and the results are too obvious to mention. Christ was no stranger to temptation either. He battled, yet without sin... for us and our eternal righteousness. This message of victory gives us confidence as we journey through the wilderness of sin in true repentance.
- Slide 4
- OPENING HYMN CW 200 A Mighty Fortress Is Our God
- Slide 5
- OPENING HYMN A mighty fortress is our God, A trusty shield and weapon; He helps us free from evry need That has us now oertaken. The old evil foe Now means deadly woe; Deep guile and great might Are his dread arms in fight; On earth is not his equal. CW 200, v.1 A Mighty Fortress Is Our God
- Slide 6
- OPENING HYMN With might of ours can naught be done; Soon were our loss effected. But for us fights the valiant one Whom God himself elected. You ask, Who is this? Jesus Christ it is, The almighty Lord. And theres no other God; He holds the field forever. CW 200, v.2 A Mighty Fortress Is Our God
- Slide 7
- OPENING HYMN Through devils all the world should fill, All eager to devour us, We tremble not, we fear no ill; They shall not overpowr us. This worlds price may still Scowl fierce as he will, He can harm us none. Hes judged; the deed is done! One little word can fell him. CW 200, v.3 A Mighty Fortress Is Our God
- Slide 8
- OPENING HYMN The Word they still shall let remain, Nor any thanks have for it; Hes by our side upon the plain With his good gifts and spirit. And do what they will Hate, steal, hurt, or kill Though all may be gone, Our victory is won; The kingdoms ours forever! CW 200, v.4 A Mighty Fortress Is Our God
- Slide 9
- INVOCATION Pastor: In the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit. People: Amen.
- Slide 10
- CONFESSION OF SINS Pastor: We have come into the presence of God, who created us to love and serve him as his dear children. But we have disobeyed him and deserve only his wrath and punishment. Therefore, let us confess our sins to him and plead for his mercy. People: Merciful Father in heaven, I am altogether sinful from birth. In countless ways I have sinned against you and do not deserve to be called your child. But trusting in Jesus, my Savior, I pray: Have mercy on me according to your unfailing love. Cleanse me from my sin, and take away my guilt.
- Slide 11
- CONFESSION OF SINS Pastor: God, our heavenly Father has forgiven all your sins. By the perfect life and innocent death of our Lord Jesus Christ, he has removed your guilt forever. You are his own dear child. May God give you strength to live according to his will People: Amen.
- Slide 12
- PRAYER AND PRAISE Pastor: In the peace of forgiveness, let us praise the Lord. People: (sing) Oh, taste and see that the Lord is good. Blessed are they who take refuge in him. Your Word, O Lord, Is eternal; it stands firm in the heavens. Your faithfulness continues forever. Oh, taste and see that the Lord is good. Blessed are they who take refuge in him.
- Slide 13
- PRAYER OF THE DAY Pastor : (Silence is kept for prayer.) Lord our strength, the battle of good and evil rages within and around us, and our ancient foe tempts us with his deceits and empty promises. Keep us steadfast in your Word, and when we fall, raise us up again and restore us through your Son, Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and forever. People: Amen.
- Slide 14
- OLD TESTAMENT Joshua 7:16-26 16 Early the next morning Joshua had Israel come forward by tribes, and Judah was chosen. 17 The clans of Judah came forward, and the Zerahites were chosen. He had the clan of the Zerahites come forward by families, and Zimri was chosen. 18 Joshua had his family come forward man by man, and Achan son of Karmi, the son of Zimri, the son of Zerah, of the tribe of Judah, was chosen. 19 Then Joshua said to Achan, My son, give glory to the LORD, the God of Israel, and honor him. Tell me what you have done; do not hide it from me. 20 Achan replied, It is true! I have sinned against the LORD, the God of Israel. This is what I have done: 21 When I saw in the
- Slide 15
- OLD TESTAMENT Joshua 7:16-26 plunder a beautiful robe from Babylonia, two hundred shekels of silver and a bar of gold weighing fifty shekels, I coveted them and took them. They are hidden in the ground inside my tent, with the silver underneath. 22 So Joshua sent messengers, and they ran to the tent, and there it was, hidden in his tent, with the silver underneath. 23 They took the things from the tent, brought them to Joshua and all the Israelites and spread them out before the LORD. 24 Then Joshua, together with all Israel, took Achan son of Zerah, the silver, the robe, the gold bar, his sons and daughters, his cattle, donkeys and sheep, his tent and all that he had, to the Valley of
- Slide 16
- OLD TESTAMENT Joshua 7:16-26 Achor. 25 Joshua said, Why have you brought this trouble on us? The LORD will bring trouble on you today. Then all Israel stoned him, and after they had stoned the rest, they burned them. 26 Over Achan they heaped up a large pile of rocks, which remains to this day. Then the LORD turned from his fierce anger. Therefore that place has been called the Valley of Achor ever since. Pastor: This is the Word of the Lord. People: Thanks be to God.
- Slide 17
- PSALM Psalm 91 CW p. 100
- Slide 18
- PSALM Refrain Keep me, keep me as the apple of your eye. Hide me, hide me in the shadow of your wings. He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High* will rest in the shadow of the Almighty. I will say of the Lord,* He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust. Psalm 91
- Slide 19
- PSALM Refrain Keep me, keep me as the apple of your eye. Hide me, hide me in the shadow of your wings. You will not fear the terror of the night,* nor the arrow that flies by day. If you make the Most High your dwelling,* then no harm will befall you, no disaster will come near your tent. Psalm 91
- Slide 20
- PSALM For he will command his angels concerning you* to guard you in all your ways; They will lift you up in their hands,* so that you will not strike your foot against a stone. Psalm 91
- Slide 21
- PSALM Glory be to the Father and to the Son* and to the Holy Spirit, As it was in the beginning,* is now, and will be forever, Amen. Refrain Keep me, keep me as the apple of your eye. Hide me, hide me in the shadow of your wings. Psalm 91
- Slide 22
- EPISTLE Hebrews 4:14-16 14 Therefore, since we have a great high priest who has ascended into heaven, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold firmly to the faith we profess. 15 For we do not have a high priest who is unable to empathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we areyet he did not sin. 16 Let us then approach Gods throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need. Pastor: This is the Word of the Lord. People: Thanks be to God.
- Slide 23
- VERSE OF THE DAY ALL: It is written: Worship the Lord your God, and serve him only. (Matthew 4:10b)
- Slide 24
- GOSPEL Luke 4:1-13 1 Jesus, full of the Holy Spirit, left the Jordan and was led by the Spirit into the wilderness, 2 where for forty days he was tempted by the devil. He ate nothing during those days, and at the end of them he was hungry. 3 The devil said to him, If you are the Son of God, tell this stone to become bread. 4 Jesus answered, It is written: Man shall not live on bread alone. 5 The devil led him up to a high place and showed him in an instant all the kingdoms of the world. 6 And he said to him, I will give you all their authority and splendor; it has been given to me, and I can give it to anyone I want to. 7 If you worship me, it will all be yours. 8 Jesus answered, It is written:
- Slide 25
- GOSPEL Luke 4:1-13 Worship the Lord your God and serve him only. 9 The devil led him to Jerusalem and had him stand on the highest point of the temple. If you are the Son of God, he said, throw yourself down from here. 10 For it is written: He will command his angels concerning you to guard you carefully; 11 they will lift you up in their hands, so that you will not strike your foot against a stone. 12 Jesus answered, It is said: Do not put the Lord your God to the test. 13 When the devil had finished all this tempting, he left him until an opportune time. Pastor: This is the Gospel of the Lord. People: Praise to you, O Christ
- Slide 26
- HYMN OF THE DAY CW 455 Rise! To Arms! With Prayer Employ You
- Slide 27
- HYMN OF THE DAY Rise! To arms! With prayer employ you, O Christians, lest the foe destroy you, For Satan has designed your fall. Wield Gods Word, a weapon glorious; Against each foe youll be victorious; Our God will set you oer them all. Fear not the prince of hell Here is Immanuel! Sing hosanna! The strong ones yield to Christ, our shield, And we as conqurors hold the field. CW 455, v.1 Rise! To Arms! With
View more >
“Spreading Christ’s Love Through Quality Healthcare To Those In Need” Bill Warren, MD, Founder Good Samaritan Health Centers of Atlanta
FAIR OAKS Farms Shrine of Christ’s Passion your ?· Shrine of Christ’s Passion your chicago connection…
Overview Synopsis A. Synopsis of Christ’s Life Analysis B. Analysis of Christ’s Life Synthesis C. Synthesis of Christ’s Life
What is this picture saying?. Jesus’ Nuptial Love To compare the love of a husband and wife, to the Christ’s love for us To explain how marriage is a
DAY and of love” (no 77). Acts of Reparation ... “It’s like looking at a stained-glass window from ... bring Christ’s love to others today