golden rules in english
out of 18
Post on 25-Dec-2014
Embed Size (px)
- 1. Golden Rules in English firstname.lastname@example.org
- 2. 2 Basic principles in learning any language No right or wrong in language There is only natural or not natural Communicative can be not natural Language is part of culture. Learn the culture of the people to master a language. People speaks in accordance t their geographical and cultural situation.
- 3. 3 Golden Rules English No verb, no sentence One sentence, one verb Different time, different verb Prefer active sentence Opposite of Bahasa Indonesia for order of noun phrases Bahasa Indonesia No verb is okay Adjective in Bahasa can be Verb in Eng Different time, the same verb Prefer passive sentence Opposite of English for order of noun phrases
- 4. 4 Characteristic No 1 No Verb, No Sentence My name _____ Herman. I ______ from Bengkulu. I _____________ English lecturer. I ____________ 27. No Verb is okay Nama saya Herman. Saya dari Bengkulu. Saya dosen bahasa Inggris. Umur saya 27 tahun.
- 5. 5 work
- 6. 6 Characteristic No 1: Culture Load No Verb, No Sentence England Four seasons. More limited land Less fertile Producing To work is to glorify God. Conclusion: work, work, work Work word (verb) No Verb is okay Nusantara, Malay Two Seasons. More land Fertile Hunting and food gathering Conclusion: no work is okay no verb is ok.
- 7. 7 Characteristic No 2 One Sentence, One Verb I was panic. Are you agree? Have you ever been written a paper? Is he doubt with me? I was went to campus yesterday. Are you understand? __________________ I panicked. Do you agree? Have you ever written a paper? Does he doubt with me? I went to campus yesterday. Do you understand?
- 8. 8 Characteristic No 2: Culture Load One Sentence, One Verb Specific Special clothes for summer: cotton Special clothes for winter Special activity in spring: planting/agriculture Special Activity in autumn: harvest Special occasion in winter: family gathering Special occasion in Summer: holiday Specification in Jobs. Specification in education: Produces many experts.
- 9. 9 Characteristic No 3 Different time, different Verb I eat. He eats. He has eaten. He is eating He ate. He is going to eat. Different time, the same verb Saya makan. Dia makan. Dia sudah makan. Dia sedang makan. Tadi, dia makan. Dia akan makan.
- 10. 10 Time
- 11. 11 Characteristic No 3: Culture Load Different time, different Verb 3 month/season Be on time/punctual Time is money/the sooner the better To the point Time is running out History is everything Different time, the same verb 6 months/season Rubber time/jam karet Alon-alon waton kelakon/Biar lambat asal selamat Lip service/basa-basi Waktu berjalan cepat Easy to forget history.
- 12. 12 Characteristic No 4: Prefer Active I cut my finger. I twisted my leg. I fell from my bike. He called you. I left my book. Dad was angry to me. Indonesia defeated Japan. Prefer Passive Jariku terluka. Kakiku keseleo. Aku terjatuh dari sepeda. Kamu dipanggil dia. Bukuku ketinggalan. Aku dimarahi ayah. Jepang dikalahkan Indonesia.
- 13. 13 Characteristic No 4: Culture Load Prefer Active Individualism I (in capital) Appreciate individual achievement Easy to give and take compliment Prefer Passive Collectivism Saya, aku (not capital) Anda (is capital) No show-off / ojo dumeh Difficult to give and take compliment
- 14. 14 When to use passive To avoid conflict My boss fired me. (active) I got fired. (passive) To reduce the subjectivity in academic work I did some processes in this research and in my opinion, I have done all of them carefully. Some processes were done in this research and they were done carefully. No doer I got wet/I am mistaken/It is stolen.
- 15. 15 Characteristic No 5 Opposite of Bahasa Indonesia for order of noun phrases Hidup saya Teman baik dia Direktorat Jenderal Pendidikan Tinggi 1234 Opposite of English for order of noun phrases Life my my life Friend best her her best friend Directorate General Education High 4321
- 16. 16 The order of noun phrases opinion condition size age color origin materi al Noun interest ing beautiful big old brown Indonesi an woode n house 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1 rumah kayu Indone sia (berw arna ) Coklat (beru mur) Tua (yang) Besar, Indah, , dan menari k
- 17. 17 Characteristic No 5: Culture Load Opposite of Bahasa Indonesia for order of noun phrases West : where the sun sets Last name: Mr. Obama The most important is the last. e.g: Opposite of English for order of noun phrases East: where the sun rises First name: Pak Herman The most important is in the first.
- 18. 18 Remember Learning language is learning the culture. Think in English people way when you want to communicate in English. Do not memorize formula but understand the reason why a rule is used. Live in the life of the language.
View more >