finding your voice in corporate nigeria
Post on 02-Jul-2015
Embed Size (px)
- 1. In Corporate Nigeria Presentation at Global Jobs Fair 2010 October 2010 Sola Oyegbade DLS, BSc, MBA, ACIPM
- Goals of the session
- Voice in Perspective
- Corporate Nigeria
- How to Find your Voice
- Case file
3. Goals of the session 4. Background:Graduates in Nigeria need to realize that the educational system they evolve from has not fully prepared them for the global competition in corporate Nigeria.Who shines amidst this darkness remain those that have committed themselves to the path of self development, form healthy social networks, discovers, and leverages their core strengths to excel against all odds.Gbenga Uriel Ogunjimi, Founder/CEO Landmark Internship International 5. Two roads diverged in a wood, and I I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference- - Robert Frost "Everyone chooses one of two roads in life - the old and the young, the rich and the poor, men and women alike. One is the broad, well-traveled road to mediocrity, the other the road to greatness and meaning. The range of possibilities that exists within each of these two destinations is as wide as the diversity of gifts and personalities in the human family. But the contrast between the two destinations is as the night is to the day." Dr. Stephen R. Covey, from The 8th Habit: From Effectiveness to Greatness Its About Choice! 6. Voice in Perspective
- The 21 stcenturychallenges and opportunities:
- Globalization is making it easy, even for workers in third world nations to solve problems for multinational firms miles away without leaving their base.
- As a matter of fact, the traditional work setting is slowly losing its grip and giving birth to a virtual world of work characterized by free agents and free lancers, armed with laptops and access to the internet.
- Corporations are willing to part with huge amounts of money and give out alluring perks to get and sustain best brains.
- These are times of great opportunities no doubt, but they are also times of great uncertainties and threats.
7. The Corporate Nigeria
- Fluid business and political environment locally and globally
- Greatest challenge how systems survive & thrive in turbulent times
- Multiple levels of socio economic and sectoral reforms
- Many companies witnessing slump in share prices
- Even when positive adjustments occur, they are transient
- High cost of borrowing, inflation and depreciated Naira
- Extended decline in business activity due to decline in revenue
- Decreased consumer and business spending. Government?
- Increased unemployment and corporate failure probabilities
- Declining return on investment and cost of doing business
- Earlier vibrant companies reporting less impressive results
- Large scale provisions for bad loans and trimming of assets
- Increased demand for compliance to due process for procurement
8. The Corporate Nigeria
- Concern for the Educational System & Unemployment
- Are university graduates in Nigeria adequately educated?
- Is our educational curriculum designed to prepare graduates to fit into the corporate world?
- Now, this is the dilemma!
- Graduatesare complaining of high levels of unemployment, very few job opportunities.
- Employersare complaining that graduates are poorly prepared for work.
- The power to discover your voice lies in the potential that was bequeathed you at birth.
- Latent and undeveloped, the seeds of greatness were planted.
- You were given magnificent birth-gifts-talents, capacities, privileges, intelligences, opportunities-that would remain largely unopened except through your own decision and effort.
- Open these gifts. Learn what taps your talents and fuels your passion-that rises out of a great need in the world that you feel drawn by conscience to meet-therein lies your voice, your calling, your souls code.
Voice in Perspective 10. Finding your Voice is to embracethe 8 thHabit
- The8 thHabitrepresents the pathway to the enormously promising side of todays reality.
- It stands in stark contracts to the pain and frustration we experience.
- In fact, it is a timeless reality.
- It is the voice of the human spirit full of hope and intelligence, resilient by nature, boundless in its potential to serve the common good.
- Voice isunique personal significance- significance that is revealed as we face our greatest challenges and which makes us equal to them.
11. Finding your Voice is to embracethe 8 thHabit VOICE Unique, Personal Significance 12. Finding your Voice is to embracethe 8 thHabit
- Voice lies at the nexus of talent, passion, need and conscience:
- your natural gifts and strengths
- those things that naturally energize, excite, motivate and inspire you
- including what the world needs enough to pay you for
- that still small voice within that assures you of what is right and that prompts you to actually do it (inner peace assured)
VOICE Unique, Personal Significance 13. Voice in Perspective
- Voice is the overlapping of the four parts of our nature:
- our body, our mind, our heart, and our spirit.
- These also represent the four intelligences:
- When you engage in work that taps your talent and fuels your passion that rises out of a great need in the world that you feel drawn by conscience to meet - -therein lies your voice, your calling, your souls code!
14. Coveys 4 steps to Finding your Voice
- To help you find this, answer these 4 question.
- What are you good at? Thats your mind.
- What do you love doing? Thats your heart.
- What need can you serve? Thats the body.
- And finally, what is life asking of you? What gives your life meaning and purpose? What do you feel like you should be doing? In short, what is your conscience directing you to do? That is your spirit.
15. Finding your Voice through: identifying your core strengths and professional purpose
- "Most Americans do not know what their strengths are. When you ask them, they look at you with a blank stare, or they respond in terms of subject knowledge, which is the wrong answer.-- Peter Drucker
16. Finding your Voice through: personal development
- Set life and career goals for yourself
- Sign up for professional courses in the direction of your life dreams and aspirations
- Stand up for something, live by principles
- Self brand yourself
- Set your sail for success, avoid distractions
17. Finding your Voice through: collaborations, mentorship and professional growth
- Seek out individuals, groups, societies or organizations that shares the same values, principles and aspirations as you
- Attend seminars/workshops /conferences
- Join social networks and clubs such old school student forum, online forum to form strategic alliances and positioning
- Commit to a mentor
- In business; In academics; In corporate world
- Sign up for Internship or Volunteer jobs /community service
- All these will help you reach your life and career goals fasterand in a credible, sustainable and consistent manner
18. Case file
- Is this possible? Can we do it?
- YES, we can!
19. Case File 1: a global voice
- Born: 16 September 1923
- Led Singapore to independence and served as its first prime minister
- He was regularly re-elected from 1959 until he stepped down in 1990.
- Lee Kuan Yew was educated in England, and under his guidance Singapore became a financial and industrial powerhouse despite a lack of abundant natural resources.
- Lee ruled with ultimate authority, and his zeal for law and order was legendary.
- In 1990 he stepped down (though he remained in the cabinet as senior minister) and was