fall home improvement project ideas
Post on 03-Apr-2016
Embed Size (px)
DESCRIPTIONProject ideas for renovating, remodeling and improving your home.
Advertising Supplement to the Sun Journal, Lewiston, Maine, Saturday, September 6, 20142 FALL HOME IMPROVEMENT
FAMILY OWNED & OPERATED
L & S Windows, 884 Lisbon Street, Suite 3, Lewiston, ME 0240207-783-9200 or 1-866-989-9155
firstname.lastname@example.org Web: www.landswindows.com
Voted Best Siding Contractor
ROOFING SIDING WINDOWS
We Have 2 Great Deals to FALL into.....
Your Choice $4,500... WOW!Dont forget we are the Home of the
ANY SIZE VINYL REPLACEMENT WINDOWS
Strip and dispose of old roong, 1-layer up to 1,500 sq ft, 6 of ice/water barrier, synthetic underlayment and architectural lifetime warranty shingles.
Strip and install 3/8 fan foil insulation side with cestained vinyl siding, install master mount blocks for your lights, outlets, dryer vents and spikets.
Fall Leaves are FALLING and so are our PRICES!
Here are some of our recent projects$189ANY SIZEVINYL REPLACEMENTWINDOW INSTALLED
Advertising Supplement to the Sun Journal, Lewiston, Maine, Saturday, September 6, 2014 FALL HOME IMPROVEMENT 3
Fiberglass Tub Repair - Chip RepairClawfoot Tub Restoration
877-708-7400 / 207-651-2658www.thebathtubman.com
Reliable, Dependable, Predictable. The Most Updated Equipment & Storage Facilities Local, Long Distance & International Moving Detailed Free Estimates Packing Fireproof Storage Office, Display & Electronic Moving 2010 & 2011 Quality Hauling Agent of the Year 2010 Outstanding Safety Achiever A Family Operated Business Since 1947
BLANCHETTEMOVING & STORAGE CO.
An Interstate Agent for Allied Van LinesDial 1 & Then
(800) 371-742932 Lexington St., Lewiston Industrial Park, Lewiston, ME
Fire & Water Cleanup and Restoration
Independently Owned and Operated
Professional Cleaning: Fire, Smoke and Soot
Water Removal and Dehumidification
Mold Mitigation and Remediation
Complete Reconstruction Services
Air Ducts and HVAC
Biohazard, Crime Scene and Vandalism
Carpet, Upholstery, Orientals
Ceilings, Walls and Hard Floors
Mold?Inspection and Removal
Moisture EvaluationsCommercial Residential
Free Consultation & Estimates
25 ways to add curb appeal to your homeBy Home Improvement Time
The importance of curb appeal can never be underrated when you own a home. Whether its pride of ownership, fitting in with the neighborhood (or standing out!), the exterior of your home ref lects your personality and can create positive impressions. And, if youre selling your house, the importance of curb appeal jumps ten-fold as you try to position your home for an instant connection with potential buyers.
There are dozens of easy ways to upgrade different ex ter ior aspects of your h o m e . M a n y o f t h e s e e n h a n c e m e n t s c a n b e achieved with lightweight yet durable Fypon products. T hese low-ma i ntena nce p i e c e s r e s i s t i n s e c t i n fest at ion s, rot , dec ay and moisture. Tr y any of the following fast and easy installations to transform the look of your home:
1. Trim out exterior windows. Use crossheads for over a window and top with a solid, decorative or recessed panel keystone accent piece. On t he sides a nd below the window, use moulding pieces with plinth blocks in the corners to eliminate miter cuts.
2. Make your entryway more welcoming with an elegant door surround. Start with
f luted pilasters on either side of the door and then top the door with a decorative pediment -- try a rams head, sunburst, acorn or peaked cap style.
3. Accent a bay window by adding window panels below the opening.
4. Add classic crown or fascia denti l moulding beneath gutters and eaves to heighten t he appea ra nce of you r home.
5. Replace a rotting wooden porch system with a new s t r u c t u r a l b a l u s t r a d e system which includes porch posts, top and bottom rails, balusters and all the other pieces essential to create a great, weather-resistant porch.
6. Interlock and install pieces of PVC Beaded Board on the ceiling of a porch or sunroom and then use the same low-maintenance materials for a wainscot treatment on the walls.
7. If you have a ceiling fan on a front porch, add a two-piece cei l i ng meda l l ion around the fan's base to add style to your entire porch.
8. Replace older, rott ing wooden louvers with low-maintenance polyurethane louvers. Functional louvers h a v e a n o n c o r r o s i v e f iberglass screen backing to keep insects out while
allowing maximum airf low and ventilation to enter the attic.
9. Upgrade the look of your entryway by adding a new brass kickplate and polishing your door hardware.
10. Flank your windows with ea s y-c a re poly u ret ha ne shutters. Choose f rom a selection of white louvered solid panel and louvered slatted panels shutters or woodg r a i n pla n k pa nel shutters in two-plank, three-plank and diagonal V-styles. Paint or stain the pre-primed shutters to complement any home exterior.
11. Add sparkle to your yard with a decorative lamp post that can help light up the night.
12. Give your house style by adding brackets under roof eaves and on porches.
13. Accent a front porch or por t ico a rea w it h a n ova l cei l ing dome made o f w e a t h e r - r e s i s t a n t polyurethane. If you have lighting elements or ceiling fans in the area, select a ceiling dome with a center hole to make it easier for wiring to come through the dome.
14. I f you r home ha s a Victorian style, use spires to accent exterior areas, fencing and gated areas of the home.
15. Dont forget the garage. Install a set of pilasters on either side of the garage door and a long door crosshead over the top.
16. Accent your exterior with a new, colorful welcome mat, decorat ive f lags, pla nter boxes and baskets of flowers.
17. Add dimension to porch ceilings with faux beams. Arrange lengthwise or in a criss-cross pattern to make the ceiling of your sunroom or porch stand out.
18. Add decorative columns to the exterior of your home o r y a r d . P o l y u r e t h a n e columns come in f luted squa re, ser pent i ne, f lat squa re a nd pla i n pa nel square styles and are weather resistant.
19. C le a n a ny e x ter ior l ighting f i xtures so your house shines during both day and evening hours.
20. Use crosshatch or square decorative panels made out of lightweight polyurethane to ser ve as see-t h roug h gates to keep pets and
chi ldren sepa rated f rom prized flowers and bushes.
21. Since the pineapple is the universal sign of hospitality, add a decorative half-round or f u l l rou nd pi neapple accent piece in the entryway to your home.
22. Add a trellis system to top off a garage door or side entry door.
23. Spend an hour with a door surround kit (available i n E m p i r e , C o l o n i a l , Craftsman and Stone styles) to create a fast enhancement to a single entry door.
24. Add brackets and corbels
to side entry areas of the home to bring attention to this area of the house. Select from hundreds of Craftsman, V ic t or i a n , A r c h , Tu l ip, Recessed and Carved Spiral styles.
25. Cover up u n sig ht ly wooden posts with a PVC Column Wrap. The semi-assembled, two-piece wrap classic style wrap installs quickly.
For additional information, call 800-446-3040 or visit www.fypon.com.
Courtesy: Home Improvement News and Information Center
Photo courtesy of FyponThere are dozens of easy ways to upgrade different exterior aspects of your home.
Advertising Supplement to the Sun Journal, Lewiston, Maine, Saturday, September 6, 20144 FALL HOME IMPROVEMENT
A 2A nd GenerationndFamily-ownedCompanyp y
Creating a Perfect Landscape...Let us turn your yard into an OASIS
Celebratingour 39thyear of
LANDSCAPE COMPANYINC.78 Lisbon Street, Lisbon, ME 04250353-4848 1-800-675-4885www.davislandscape.com
Landscape Design Planting Lawn Sprinkler Systems Hardscaping
(Stone, Brick & Timber Work) Hydroseed & Sod Lawns Ornamental Ponds
Voted Best Landscape Contractor in GreaterLewiston/Auburn 11
General ContractorServing Central Maine Since 1976
Call 207-782-8423 orToll Free 1-888-288-1179
We specialize in remodeling, repairing or the reconstruction of residential or commercial structures.
2527 Turner Rd. Auburn, ME
4 ways to discover the design potential of the '5th wall'By BrandPoint
With autumn just a few short weeks away, many people will soon spend less time on the patio and more time within four walls. Actually, five walls if you include the ceiling.
Ma ny homeow ners don't consider ceilings part of their interior design, and it shows. Most are expanses of bland white paint. But savvy do-it-yourselfers are converting these blank canvases into interesting and functional design elements that can accent a room's decor, create a cozier space or disguise problems commonly found on this fifth wall.
The best news: Updating a ceiling is one of the easiest and budget-friendly ways to freshen a space. All the recent attention on ceilings
-- from both professional designers and DIY