European Colonization Of The Americas Part 2 (Spain)
out of 9
Post on 10-Dec-2014
Embed Size (px)
DESCRIPTIONEuropean Colonization of America(Spain)
- 1. European colonization of the Americas Part 2- Spain
- 2. Background info
- The Spanish colonization of the Americas was Spain's conquest, settlement, and rule over much of the western hemisphere
- 3. The Big Four
- Great Britain
- 4. Spain
- Credited with discovering the New World when Christopher Columbus officially landed in the Americas
- Spains empire grew drastically over three centuries to become one of the dominant players in the new world.
- 5. Spain cont.
- Spains empire in the new world included: settlements in the Caribbean, Central America, most of South America, Mexico, what today is Southwestern United States, the Pacific and Caribbean coasts of North America, reaching Alaska
- 6. Anachronous map of the Spanish Empire in red, and the Spanish Habsburg realms in Europe (1516-1714) in orange.
- 7. The Conquistadors
- Arguably the most famous group of explorers
- Credited with conquering the Americas
- Defeated both the legendary Inca and Aztec empires
- The spread of diseases (such as smallpox) among the natives was the most deadly weapon they had at their disposal.
- 8. Artist rendition of conquistador Pedro de Valdivia founding of Santiago de Chile.
- 9. References
View more >
Unit XV – Colonization of the Americas A. Early Middle American Civilizations1-12 B. The Spanish Conquistadores 13 - 18 C. Other Colonization in America