eng1smc prof.cramer preventing childhood obesity
out of 14
Post on 29-Nov-2014
Embed Size (px)
- 1. Preventing Childhood Obesity:Educating Children about Nutrition English 1 Prof. Tim Cramer Santa Monica College March 27, 2012 Presented by Supaporn Thienapirak
- 2. About childhood obesity in US One out of six children is obese About 12.5 million of children and adolescents aged 2-19 years are obese Since 1980, obesity prevalence among children and adolescents has tripled(Smith and Robinson)
- 3. Obese children are more likely tobecome obese adults (Childhood Obesity Vicious Cycle)
- 4. Two components of childhood obesity1. Physical inactivity 2. Improper nutrition
- 5. Landscape of food: Supermarket/foodThen (30 years ago) Now
- 6. Landscape of food: homeThen (30 years ago) Now
- 7. Landscape of food: SchoolThen (30 years ago) Now
- 8. What we can do?As First Lady Michelle Obama says This isnt the kind of problem that can be solved overnight, but with everyone working together, it can be solved. So, lets move. (First Lady) To make a big change and success in solving childhood obesity problem, we need to educate children about nutrition.
- 9. BIG CORPORATIONS: Supermarket &Fast Food Major Supermarkets need to put food ambassador in the stores to educate and help customer to choose healthier choices Big fast food chains need to put food education as a core of their business
- 10. FAMILY Leading by example Encourage healthy eating habits Be smart about snacks and sweets Portion control
- 11. SCHOOL Teach students about nutrition in class Add cooking class in the program Have a garden set-up for education (Jamie)
- 12. Q&A
- 13. Works citedBirch, L. L., and A. K. Ventura. "Preventing Childhood Obesity: What Works?." International Journal Of Obesity 33.(2009): S74-S81. Academic Search Premier. Web. 19 Mar. 2012. "First Lady Michelle Obama Launches Lets Move: Americas Move to Raise a Healthier Generation of Kids ." The White House. Web. 20 Mar. 2012. ."Jamie Olivers TED Prize Wish: Teach Every Child about Food | Video on TED.com." TED: Ideas worth Spreading. Feb. 2010. Web. 20 Mar. 2012. ."KIDS HEART FELT HEALTH." KIDS HEART FELT HEALTH. Web. 27 Mar. 2012. ."Learn The Facts." Lets Move! Web. 20 Mar. 2012. .
- 14. Works cited"McDonalds: Apple Slices in Every Happy Meal." USA Today. Gannett, 26 July 2011. Web. 27 Mar. 2012. ."Overweight and Obesity/Data and Statistics." Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. dcd.gov, 12 Sep 2011. Web.26 Mar2012.Rahman, Tamanna, Rachel A. Cushing, and Richard J. Jackson. "Contributions Of Built Environment To Childhood Obesity." Mount Sinai Journal Of Medicine 78.1 (2011): 49-57. Academic Search Premier. Web. 19 Mar. 2012. Smith, Melinda, and Robinson, Lawrence . "Childhood Obesity and Overweight Kids." Childhood Obesity and Overweight Kids: Helping Your Child Reach a Healthy Weight. 23 Apr. 2010. Web. 19 Mar. 2012. .
View more >