Educational Leadership: Challenging the Status Quo Christine Berrong and Roxanne Ferrici available online: http://www.bluenotegirl.com
out of 17
Post on 26-Dec-2015
Embed Size (px)
- Slide 1
- Educational Leadership: Challenging the Status Quo Christine Berrong and Roxanne Ferrici available online: http://www.bluenotegirl.com/
- Slide 2
- Association of Supervision and Curriculum Development ASCD, a community of educators, advocating sound policies and sharing best practices to achieve the success of each learner. www.ascd.org
- Slide 3
- ASCD Current Events Best Practice Up to Date Legislation Leadership Tutorials Professional Development Resource Annual Conference Network of Support
- Slide 4
- Are We Fixing the Wrong Things? Author Yong Zao Director of the U.S.-China Center for Educational Excellence Co-director of Elanguage Project http://zhao.educ.msu.edu/
- Slide 5
- Are We Fixing the Wrong Things? Report: A Nation at Risk, 1983 Deficient in science & technology Current reform Comparisons to China What about creativity? Two problems
- Slide 6
- Are We Fixing the Wrong Things? Discussion: Do you agree with the author that we are fixing the wrong things? How would you apply the theories we read about to reform a school system in order to foster creativity in students? How do we prepare students to think more globally when social studies has been pushed aside by reformers?
- Slide 7
- Transforming New York Citys Public Schools By Barbara Bartholomew Formerly a Regional Director of School Improvement in New York City Currently Assistant Professor of Reading and Literacy at California State University, Bakersfield, CA
- Slide 8
- Transforming New York Citys Public Schools 2001 - Michael Bloomberg elected mayor of NYC 2002 - given complete control of schools The Reform The Problems What did Bloomberg learn? Letter to LA parents
- Slide 9
- Transforming New York Citys Public Schools Discussion: If you were to continue this article and write suggestions for Michael Bloomberg, what would they be? Can Senges theory (also a business model) be applied to this situation?
- Slide 10
- The New Integration Richard D. Kahlenberg Senior Fellow - The Century Foundation Attended Harvard and Harvard Law School Has written books, articles for major newspapers, and appeared on all major news networks http://www.equaleducation.org/press.asp? staff=14
- Slide 11
- The New Integration Integration by socioeconomic status Wake County, North Carolina Research Desegregation studies Coleman report Why high-poverty schools dont work Strategies for integration What about middle-class students?
- Slide 12
- The New Integration Discussion: If you were an administrator in one of these districts, how would you handle political aspects of the integration? How could this work in the Chicago Public Schools?
- Slide 13
- Having it All By David Ferrero Ability-grouped classes vs. higher order applications Innovative Traditionalism Student success based on Collaboration Making them think theyre smarter than they really are.
- Slide 14
- Having it All Discussion Is your school traditional or innovative? Do teachers in your building plan thematically? How difficult would it be to move to this model? What are some of the obstacles your staff would face in this change?
- Slide 15
- The Ripple Effect By Andy Hargreaves and Dean Fink Paired Schools Networked Districts Community Consultation Collective Accountability Environmental Impact Assessment Learning to See
- Slide 16
- The Ripple Effect Sustainable leadership What are your neighbors doing? The fortunes of one are perversely linked to the failures of another. What imprint does your leadership leave on your neighbors? What are your thoughts on magnet and charter schools?
- Slide 17
- Sources Articles from Educational Leadership, May 2006, Vol. 63, No. 8. Information on Barbara Bartholomew retrieved July 27, 2006, from http://www.csub.edu/soe/news/soe_news_nov.pdf.http://www.csub.edu/soe/news/soe_news_nov.pdf. How to Develop a Professional Learning Community: Passion and Persistence by Richard DuFour, National Education Service 2002.
View more >
Kimberly-Clark: Challenging the Customer Engagement Status-Quo with an iPad, Grant Davies and Kim MacDougall
Challenging the Status Quo Meaning of Educational Quality ... 1).pdf · quo definition of educational…
Sean Robert Faulkner - City of Norwood Payneham & St Peters - • WHS in a Warzone: Challenging the status quo
Challenging the Status Quo Through Policy, Education, Research, and Program Implementation Assistance in the Veterans Health Administration Andrew Pomerantz,
Copy and paste image from image bank here Social Media: Challenging the Status Quo 23 April 2012 Hong Kong