download to view panorama of ny
out of 37
Post on 19-Aug-2014
Embed Size (px)
- PowerPoint Show by Andrew
- Albany is the capital of New York State, but New York City is the "Big Apple".
- New York is called The Big Apple, because in the 1920s, jazz musicians said that the city was the best and most attractive place.
- Eight million people live in New York City
- New York has five boroughs: Manhattan, Brooklyn, the Bronx, Queens and Staten Island
- Manhattan is the most famous borough and its where the tourists go!
- In Manhattan you can travel on subway trains..
- on buses or in a taxi. Here taxis are called cabs.
- You can take the Water Taxi around the island of Manhattan or take the free ferry from Battery Park to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island.
- Ellis Island the Statue of Liberty
- Ellis Island was an immigration station in the past; it was the first stop for nearly 17 million immigrants
- Many famous people came through Ellis Island, for example Sigmund Freud, Charlie Chaplin and Walt Disney.
- At the beginning of the 20th century millions of black people came to New York from the southern states to look for work. Today immigrants come mainly from Asia and Spanish-speaking countries, for example Cuba and Mexico.
- The Statue of Liberty is the first thing many immigrants see.
- People from the same origin often live in the same area and create their own communities. The Chinese community is in CHINATOWN
- Little Italy is the Italian community
- and on Broadway, between 41st and 53rd streets. There are more than thirty theatres on Broadway.
- Central Park is 6% of Manhattan.
- It has a big lake, hundreds of trees and beautiful gardens
- The Empire State Building is NYs tallest skyscraper. Its 381 meters tall and it has 102 floors
- The Chrysler building was built by the famous car maker. It was finished in 1930.
- The Rockefeller Center includes many buildings, but it is most visited in winter.
- A huge Christmas tree and a crowded skating rink attract New Yorkers and tourists.
- But on the 11th of September, (9/11) for Americans, radical Islamists crashed two planes into the towers. Today this site is called "Ground Zero".
View more >