different styles of a music video
out of 6
Post on 17-Aug-2015
Embed Size (px)
- 1. Different Styles Of A Music Video BY CHARLOTTE MARTIN
- 2. Performance Performance videos mainly focus on the artist or band 'plainly' performing either on their own or in front of a crowd. This style of music video doesn't usually have any sort of narrative and would usually consist of a wide variety of camera angles and regularly repeat them. This style is popular amongst rock artists videos however other artists choose to promote their recording in this way. Some examples of this are: Arctic Monkeys Brainstorm James Bay Hold back the river As you can see they both use repeated camera angles and just showing the band playing; usually switching from each band member.
- 3. Narrative Narrative based videos usually mix a bit of the performance involved with the artist/s singing. A narrative music video tells a story, logically or sequentially through a chain of events that are put together to run parallel to each other. Narrative music videos are good at creating emotional bonds between the artist and the viewer. Sometimes the style of the narrative can even define an artist. They not only present the artist with a more engaging way to present their ideas, but also increases the recall value of the artist/band by the audiences. Chance the Rapper (feat. Vic Mensa and Twista) Cocoa Butter Kisses Ludacris (feat. Mary J. Blige) - Runaway Love
- 4. Cameo Cameo is the style of music videos when famous people (for example) appear in the music video however are not involved in the singing for example when the song is influenced in a movie. This still involves the artists usually singing through the video with cut backs to them performing whilst doing a narrative video. Example of this are: The Weeknd Earned It: (Fifty shades of grey) Boom Clap Charlie XCX (The fault in our stars) These videos follow a narrative base around the guest appearances with the video cutting back to the artist/s. This style usually involves the people that can somehow be related to easily and that people would know who they are this is used as an advertisement I order to promote the video.
- 5. Notion of Looking Notion of looking videos are usually when the audience is watching the artist/characters in the music video do something for example another person. Ne-Yo (Feat. Juicy J) She Knows: Trey Songz: Slow Motion As you can see both songs represent woman as sexual objects in the view of the male eye.
- 6. Theories research: Narrative Style: Todorov's narrative theory At the outset of the story you introduce a main character and everything starts normally (nothing goes wrong). Then the equilibrium is broken by some event or through creation of a conflict. Soon a realisation occurs where the disruption is recognised as the problem is sensed by the character, who explores the consequences. After which he tries to restore the order to attempt to solve the problem or repair the disruption. Finally the balance is restored and the conflict is solved with a happy end Narrative Style: Roland Barthe's theory You don't reveal all the facts in the beginning and create a mystery to keep the audience engaged to the end, letting them guess what happens next. This is a form if enigma codes. You can either use some semantic elements to provide additional meaning or focus on everybody's cultural knowledge, morality, ideology and lifestyle. You can even place two suggestive elements in opposition to create tension and drama. Narrative Style: Levi-Strauss' theory Your narrative will depict a conflict between two opposites like Good and Bad, Rich and Poor, Love and Hate, Man and Woman, Young and Old, Humanity and Technology, etc. Notion of Looking style: Goodwins (third) theory There is frequent reference to the notion of looking, and particularly voyeuristic treatment of the female body. This included men and women looking seductive within videos, and also eye contact with the camera and each other, to create a link between the person and the audience.
View more >