dairy grazing does it make dollars & sense in your operation?
Click here to load reader
Post on 16-Dec-2015
Embed Size (px)
- Slide 1
- DAIRY GRAZING Does it make Dollars & Sense In your operation?
- Slide 2
- Dairy Grazing 2 Gerow Business Graphics PROFIT = INCOME - EXPENSES
- Slide 3
- Dairy Grazing 3 Gerow Business Graphics REASONS TO GRAZE 1 Natural feed habit 2 Reduce stress on cows & people 3 Improve crop yields 4 Reduce labor 5 Improve health cows & people 6 Increase the life span of cows & machinery
- Slide 4
- Dairy Grazing 4 Gerow Business Graphics REASONS NOT TO GRAZE 1 Tractor arming is more fun 2 Weve never done it before 3 Its the last thing guys do before selling out 4 Good farmers dont do it 5 Not modern not progressive 6 Lower per unit machinery cost with no pasture
- Slide 5
- Dairy Grazing 5 Gerow Business Graphics Which List Makes Better Dollars & Sense??
- Slide 6
- Dairy Grazing 6 Gerow Business Graphics Grazing will NOT - 1 Solve all of your production & management problems 2 Make you a doctors wages from the farm 3 Give you endless free time
- Slide 7
- Dairy Grazing 7 Gerow Business Graphics Grazing can - 1 Save labor costs 2 Reduce chore times 3 Save operating expenses 4 Improve grass yields 5 Improve animal health 6 Improve milk production
- Slide 8
- Dairy Grazing 8 Gerow Business Graphics Continuous vs. Managed Grazing 1 Large pastures vs. small paddocks 2 Long periods of occupation vs. short periods 3 Managed combines rotating pastures and regrowth Both systems can work Managed grazing will be more profitable
- Slide 9
- Dairy Grazing 9 Gerow Business Graphics Forage Profitability Pennsylvania Dairy Farms 1992
- Slide 10
- Dairy Grazing 10 Gerow Business Graphics Crop Dairy vs. Pastured Dairy Selected Expense Categories Pennsylvania 1992 Per Cow Crop Pasture Purchased Feed $571.00 $330.00 Breeding/Testing $50.00 $38.00 Vet & Medicines $57.00 $25.00 Livestock Supplies $79.00 $70.00 Crop Seed/Supplies $100.00 $20.00 Fertilizer & Lime $67.00 $40.00 Machinery Repair $119.00 $72.00 Fuels $57.00 $25.00 Total Expenses $1274.00 $794.00 Difference $480.00 per cow savings
- Slide 11
- Dairy Grazing 11 Gerow Business Graphics Effects of Nine Years of Grazing Northern New York Dairy Farm Year198319871991 Days on Pasture153188186 Milk Sold/Day171219702562 No. Cows55.44842 Milk/Cow/Day314261 Lbs Grain/Cow10.211.112.2 Grain to Milk Ratio1 to 31 to 41 to 5 Grass production, milk production & efficiency all increased over time.
- Slide 12
- Dairy Grazing 12 Gerow Business Graphics Who can benefit from grazing ? 1 High Debt Load Farms decrease expenses 2 High Equity Farms increase net income without increased debt or risk 3 Middle Aged Dairymen - increase net income approaching retirement 4 Starting Farmers lower capital requirements less risk 5 Cow Men - less crop work more time for cows ALMOST ANY DAIRY FARMER CAN BENEFIT BY DEVELOPING A PASTURE SYSTEM!!
- Slide 13
- Dairy Grazing 13 Gerow Business Graphics Thank you for watching this presentation!