creativity and innovation applications
Post on 12-May-2015
Embed Size (px)
DESCRIPTIONCreativity and the results of research are the main sources of innovation, they are not exploited enough in the Middle East. This situation leads to paralysis, reduces creativity and prevents the region from joining the knowledge society.
- 1.Creativity and Innovation applications Georges Aoun Vice-Rector Saint Joseph University October 2009
- Creativity and the results of research are the main sources of innovation, they are not exploited enough in the Middle East This situation leads to paralysis, reduces creativity and prevents the region from joining the knowledge society
3. Summary (cont.)
- This paper studies the conditions helping the emergence of innovation and the key success factors that allow entrepreneurs to innovate. Experiences from several companies are presented and two models adopted by Saint Joseph University to enhance innovation in Lebanon (Business incubator Berytech and Health Pole PTS) are analyzed as well as a new chair of innovation that was created through a network of universities supported by the Tempus program .
4. I- Research, Higher education and Knowledge society in the Middle East 5. Obstacles for a knowledge society in the Middle East
- Limited freedom of opinion, expression and action
- Low quality of higher education because of the limited resources and high demography in the region
- Limited public expenditures in R&D
- Brain drain from the region toward developped countries
- Governments think that it is easier to import results of research thanto invest in infrastructures.
6. Results 7. Results (cont.) 8. II-Experiences to enhance creativity and innovation
- Emmerging from creativity, innovation could occur in the process, the product, the service or the business model. To succeed and to have a lasting effect in the market, it should offer an added value for the final customers
9. Ideas management
- Good ideas start usually from the bottom of the organization, management should create a system rewarding employees working on new ideas and allowing them to testthese ideas and follow the implementation of the innovation that springs from the idea. The empoyees are recognized as innovators.
10. Procter & Gamble
- Connect and develop program50% of innovations originate from outside the company
- Technology entrepreneurs look around the world for new ideas and are part of several networks this allows them to identify promising researchers that could be hosted in the company to test their idea
- Productivity in R&D has doubled and the portfolio of innovative productshas increased fourfold
- The pharmaceutical Company Sanofi-Aventis introduced flexibility and entrepreneurship in its R&D department.
- It set up Exploratory units in contact with the outside world to inform the researchers about the challenges and the requirements.
- The role of Entrepreneur units is to facilitate the emergence of new ideas and accelerate the presence of innovative products on the market
- The six sigma method and the cost cutting at all levels introduced in 2000 by the CEO of 3M has increased productivity and efficiency but cancelled the search for new ideas considered as a waste due to the unreliable outcomes
- This decision reduced the innovation potential of 3Mand its competitive stance
- The balance between cutting expenditures and keeping a high R&D output shouldbe carefully monitored
- The image of Apple is dominated by innovations but the limited volume of sales for most of its new products (except the i-phone lately) prevented the company from getting a high return on its investments in R&D.
- In trying to protect its rights in patents and intellectual property, Apple became isolated and was not able to build partnership with other companies to increase the market share of its new products
14. Organizations facilitating the technology transfer
- NineSigma: It offers information and services to organizations to improve the innovation process through the creation of innovation networks that include scientists and companies interested by innovation, it facilitates the match between offer and needs in the innovation field
- Innovation Relay Centres andEnterprise Europe Network :They arevirtual marketplaces allowing the creative persons to find companies that could be interested by their ideas
15. Organizations facilitating the technology transfer (cont.)
- Yet2.com: It offers consulting on patents and intellectuel properties to inventors to facilitate their relations with potential buyers or partners. Itprotects the inventors rightsand works with the companies interested by bying or using the patent.
- Unico: This British association offers a forum to exchange good practices in the transfer of innovation and establishment of partnership between individuals ,private and public institutions
16. III- Contribution of Saint Joseph Universityto innovation Berytech:Business Incubator 17. Berytech (cont.) Business hosting and services 18. Health Pole
- Host young graduates andresearchers, bearing ideas and projects, looking for scientific validation of their ideas before they reach the market through an established company or provide services from the Health Pole
- Contribution to the development of the knowledge society in the Middle-East and anticipation of future jobs in the scientific field
19. Health Pole (cont.)
- Seven themes for research in the field of
- medical sciences have been adopted:
- Genetics - Oncogenetics
- Biomaterials - Biophysics
- Drugs, Therapeutical innovations & mtabolic pathologies
- Pathological Agents - vaccinology
- Physiopathology & bio-medical applications
- Studies of populations
20. Chair of innovation
- This chair created in the framework of a Tempus European program with 7 other universities allows the University to develop processessupporting creativity and to create a platform that facilitate the transfer of innovation from the University to partner companies.
- There are many obstacles to creativity in the Middle East
- Innovation needs anadequate environment
- Companies feel the need to look for new ideas outside their walls
- The evolution of the technologies and the communication tools help the innovation
- Networks, benchmarking and implementing good practices imported from other regions could improve the transfer of innovation
- The civil society can play an active role in supporting this process