cpas & second life
Post on 21-Jan-2015
Embed Size (px)
DESCRIPTIONPowerpoint for demos about cpaisland and second life
- 1. CPAs & the virtual world of Second Life Maryland Association of CPAs Tom Hood, CPA.CITP Robert Babine
2. If the web is reshaping the world as we know it, and will be the water in which the new generation of digital natives will swim, then it behooves all of us to understanding its implications. David Sibbet The Grove Consultants Intl 3. Virtual Worlds 80% of active Internet users to have a virtual world presence by 2011 - Gartner Group 4. CPAs & Second Life
- "We realized there is a real economy growing in there, and every good economy needs CPAs, so we figured we needed to be there, too.
- Byron Patrick, CPA
- First CPA firm in Second Life
5. CPAs & Second Life
- "I look at it as just another office, another extension of our firm. Its another touch point where we can potentially meet with clients and expand our geographic of where we can deliver services. Its taking Web 2.0 to Web 2.0-plus, and eventually thats where its all going to be.
- Byron Patrick, CPA
- Founding member of MACPAs New/Young Professionals
- Sun Microsystems
- American Apparel
- CNET Networks
- Yankee Stadium
- Harvard (and 200+ educational institutions)
- H&R Block
Whos there 7. Is Second Life REAL! Provided by Linden Labs 8. Real Business in Second Life
- "Second Life is more compelling than a conference call, less intimidating than a video conference, and a hell of a lot better than business travel.
- John Zdanowski, CFO
- Linden Lab
9. The Experience of Virtual Worlds ""In the future, as the technology continues to improve, I expect to see virtual worlds become immersive experiences that are difficult to differentiate from the real world. John Zdanowski, CFO Linden Lab 10. Welcome to CPA Island 11. Second Life Retrospective As Ive learned more, I have come to appreciate that in this one space, all of the new channels for social networking and multi-media are manifesting in one integrated social experiment - David Sibbet, The Grove Consultants Intl Source: Second Life Retrospective David Sibbet 12. CPA Island Why we are here
- Attracting students to the CPA profession
- Place for accounting educators to collaborate
- CPE events for CPAs learn about new and different ways to engage new generation
- Showcase best practices in an innovative way
- Display our brands as we envision them
Community Collaboration - Content 13. Accounting Education Pavilion Our pavilion features a place for Colleges & Universities to showcase their accounting education and a place for accounting educators to connect, share, and learn from each other. It is also a place for prospective students to see the many options available in an exciting career as a Certified Public Accountant. 14. New Young Professionals Network Club NYPN on CPA Island Lifes a beach at the Club NYPN on CPA island. This special area devoted to New & Young Professionals has all of the features for networking, casual meetups, and fun. Complete with a dance floor, tiki bars, beach, and a real treehouse it is the place for students and young professionals to chill. 15. BLI Conference Center A center facilitating the development and sharing of competencies and strategic knowledge required for leadership in the rapidly changing business environment.BLI will deliver competency-based curriculum, courses, content, and community to enhance learning and grow intellectual capital for organizational and executive leadership. 16. Prior Events
- Mixed reality session at our Accounting Educators Conference
- Demos at Towson University & Johns Hopkins University
- Presentation at the national Association Digital Now Conference in Orlando
- First CPE in Second Life at the Maryland Business & Accounting EXPO
17. Scenes from the EXPO 18. KAWG&F Offices The first CPA firm in SL! Contact : Chili Carson or Bean Wollongong for more information KAWG&F have established their offices on CPA Island and have been pathfinders in working in this new virtual world. 19. CFO of the Future Center Chief Financial Officers are one of the exciting career options many CPAs choose. This building and exhibit is a place to network, collaborate, and co-create resources to help todays CFO deal with the challenges of todays rapidly changing business landscape. Join the group SLACPA and look for upcoming events. Visit us at CPA Island http://www.cpaisland.com 20. BLI Center for Strategic Planning Strategy & leadership are the prerequisites for success in the Next Economy The Network Economy, the Internet Economy, the Next Economy; all are terms that speak to the new body of knowledge, new strategies, and fundamentally new dynamics which shape not only our economy but our society.This center is a place to share best practices and form a community dedicated to strategic leadership. 21. MACPA Headquarters http://www.macpa.org Our office features a video room, our Board room, offices and additional meeting rooms. 22. CPA Island -Upcoming Events AACSB The Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business Presents: Using Virtual Reality Technologies to Explore Worlds Beyond the Blackboard Dr. Mike Kraten Monday, June 30, 2008 1:30 p.m. 3:00 p.m. EST 10:30 a.m. 12:00 p.m. PST/SLT 23. CPA Island -Upcoming Events SF/BAY AREA FENG (Financial Executives Networking Group) Presents: XBRL and the International Future of Business ReportingGreg Zegarowski, President of Financial Leadership Corporation Tuesday, July 15, 2008 4:00 p.m. 6:00 p.m. EST 7:00 p.m. 9:00 p.m. PST/SLT 24. Closing Thoughts Is it time to pay attention?
- This is not a game: Virtual Worlds coming to your business Forrester predicts CIO Magazine
- Second Life produces real training results CLO magazine ASTD
- Virtual Worlds makeHarvard Business Reviewsbreakthrough ideas for 2008
- Virtual worlds will be widely adopted venues for reaching customers and experimenting with new product ideas and business modelsThe Future of Small Business Report
25. For more information
In world SLACPA group Contact Rocky Maddaloni or Billy Mapp [email_address] [email_address] 26. SL Tutorial at CPALearning2.com http://tinyurl.com/4ejlsq http://tinyurl.com/4y5h4h Join SLACPA & find CPA Island Join SL & create your avatar CPA Island SLURL 27. Maryland Association of CPAs founded 1901 to promote and protect CPAs and help them thrive in the rapidly changing environment 10,000 members Business Learning Institute founded in 2000 with a mission to help organizations deliver competency-based curriculum, courses, content and community to enhance learning and grow intellectual capital for organizational and executive leadership Second Life Association of CPAs founded in 2006 With 115 members and two islands (CPA Island & CPA Island 2) with a mission of building a community of people interested in exploring the possibilities of CPAs in Second Life 28. Upcoming Events Digital Now Conference Demonstrations to Association Community Friday, April 25, 2008 9:50 a.m. 10:10 a.m. EST 6:50 a.m. 7:10 a.m. PST/SLT & 2:20 p.m. 2:40 p.m. EST 11:20 a.m. 11:40 p.m. PST/SLT Towson University Creating REAL Business presences in Second Life Friday, May 2, 2008 12:00 p.m. 1:00 p.m. EST 9:00 a.m. 10:00 a.m. PST/SLT 29. Upcoming Events MDBIZEXPO The first Business & Accounting EXPO in Second Life! June 17 th& 18 th , 2008 Baltimore Convention Center MDBIZEXPO The Future of Small Business Intuit Corporation & The Institute for the Future Wednesday, June 18, 2008 8:10 p.m. 9:00 p.m. EST 5:10 a.m. 6:00 a.m. PST/SLT First CPE in Second Life ! 30. Upcoming Events MDBIZEXPO The Future of Small Business What CPAs Need to Know Intuit Corporation & The Institute for the Future Wednesday, June 18, 2008 9:10 a.m. 10:00 a.m. EST 6:10 a.m. 7:00 a.m. PST/SLT MDBIZEXPO The Real Business of Second Life John Zdanowski, CFO Linden Labs Wednesday, June 18, 2008 2:15 p.m. 3:05 p.m. EST 11:15 a.m. 12:05 p.m. PST/SLT First CPE in Second Life !