common core 2
out of 76
Post on 02-Nov-2014
Embed Size (px)
DESCRIPTIONThis presentation was provided by Christy Stanley who works for Pender County Schools.
- 1. Christy Stanley English/Language Arts Common Core Training Building the Base with Common Core State Standards
- 2. As you arrive 1) Log in to a computer. 2) Access the Wiki http:// pcsmsla.pbworks.com
- 3. How will we work together today?
- Active Participation
- Positive Attitude
- Sense of responsibility for the group as a community of learners
- Valuing Differences
- 4. What are the learning targets for morning? To LITERACY and beyond!
- 5. What is the Common Core Standard Initiative? * Pre-Assessment- 1 through 4 The Common Core State Standard Initiative is a significant and historic opportunity for states to collectively develop and adopt a core set of standards in Mathematics and English Language Arts including literacy standards for Science and Social Studies and Technology
- 6. Who is Participating?
- Forty eight states , Washington D.C., Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands have signed on to the Common Core State Standards Initiative led by the National Governors Association Center and the Council of Chief State School Officers.
- This initiative will potentially reach 43.5 million students which is about 87% of the total student population.
- Source--SchoolDataDirect.org 2007
- 7. Silent Marker Activity
- On your own, please write down the skills and understandings (at least 3) you believe a twenty-first century literate person needs to have.
- Share with the whole group on the silent marker wall
- 8. Throughout the workshop Please record on Post-its: Ideas that come to mind for your instructional practice. Places where I can improve the workshop. Questions you have during the workshop . . Any sidebars you just cant wait for . . .
- 9. Setting the stage
- 10. 21 st Century Skills Rainbow
- 11. Why this SHIFT ?
- It made sense then
- Schooling in the Medieval Age : Learning the rules of the church
- Schooling in the Industrial Age : Preparing factory workers
- But now
- Schooling in the Current Age : The purposes of schooling are changing
- New kinds of thinking for new kinds of problems
- 12. Shared Language
- Essential Standards
- NC Falcon
- Accountability and Curriculum Reform Effort (seeking to redefine the SCOS, the student assessment and the school accountability model)
- Race to the Top
- Common Core Standards
- College Career Readiness
- Revised Blooms Taxonomy
- All other subjects (not ELA & Math)
- Formative Assessment Learning Community's Online Network
- 13. Timeline 2/14/2011 page Essential Standards 1
- 14. Want to Learn About the Assessments?
- Summative Assessment of the
- Common Core State Standards for English Language Arts &
- Literacy in History/Social Studies, Science, and Technical Subjects
- 15. Professional Development: Access and Support 10/06/11 page MODULES Online support to increase teacher understanding and implementation of standards 1: The Call for Change : An Overview of the Common Core and Essential Standards 2: Understanding the Standards 3: Revised Blooms Taxonomy (RBT ) 2: Understanding the Standards CC and Essential Standards Tools Training Implementation Guide Presentational Resources Crosswalk Unpacking Standards Instructional Tools targeted to aid in the transition and to complement the professional development. 4: Developing Local Curricula 5: NC FALCON 6: NC Teacher Standards Course
- 16. Lets review!
- Where is the Common Core coming from?
- What are the implications?
- Why is it important?
- What are some key terms to know?
- 17. Thats nice, but
- What will this actually look like for my school?
- 18. Face the brutal facts with unwavering optimism.
- 19. And now
- 20. What are the major difference between the NCSCoS and new CCSS?
- Standards for reading and writing in social studies, science, and technical subjects
- Complement rather than replace content standards in those subjects
- Responsibility of teachers in those subjects
- Alignment with college and career ready expectations
- 21. Activity
- By yourself : Read the Introduction to the Common Core Standards page 3-8 (10 minutes or so)
- By yourself : Stop and Jot : note the 3 most important facts about the standards
- Together : Speak at your tables and review each others ideas-
- Together : narrow it further and select 2 facts per table on a sticky note that you deem the most important to add to the silent marker wall-
- Sharing of Ideas
- 22. Overview of ELA Shifts
- Organized in K-12 structure
- Writing begins in K
- Addition of argumentation to writing
- Emphasis on info text
- Deep integration of reading & writing
- Greater emphasis on grammar
- More emphasis on digital reading, writing, & multi-media production
- Greater attention to comprehension
- Pervasive demand for higher-order thinking & production
- Specific standards for speaking & listening
- Standards for literacy in science, social studies, and instructional technology
- 23. 6 Shifts in ELA
- 24. Shifts in ELA
- 25. See for yourself
- 26. What is the organization of the ELA standards?
- CCR Anchor Standards
- Broad expectations consistent across grades and content areas (K-12)
- Based on evidence about college and workforce training expectations
- Range and content
- 27. Further Considerations
- Fewer, clearer, higher: (NC DPI Language)
- produce a set of fewer, clearer and higher standards.
- cover only those areas that are critical for student success
- scaffolded and developmental
- Internationally benchmarked:
- informed by the content, rigor and organization of standards of high-performing countries and states
- all students are prepared to succeed in a global economy and society.
- Special populations:
- the inclusion of all types of learners was a priority
- recognized that special populations may require additional time and appropriate instructional support with aligned assessments
- selected language intended to make the standards documents accessible to different learners
- 28. Annotating the Anchors K-12 College & Career Readiness
- Draw a box around each STRAND
- Underline each CLUSTER
- Star the most challenging STANDARD within each STRAND
View more >