catch-22 book review group 10. context setting: whatâ€™s the catch? the book:...
out of 12
Post on 27-Dec-2015
Embed Size (px)
- Slide 1
- CATCH-22 Book Review GROUP 10
- Slide 2
- CONTEXT SETTING: WHATS THE CATCH? THE BOOK: MAKING OF A CLASSIC THE GAMECHANGER: KNOW THE AUTHOR SNEAK PEEK: PLOT CHARACTERS STYLE FROM THE CRITICS LENS: OUR EVALUATION CONCLUSION: CONNECTING SOME DOTS! AGENDA
- Slide 3
- THERES ONLY ONE CATCH, AND THATS CATCH-22 Theres something about this book Sold over 10 million copies 11 editions published over last 50 years Coined a new phrase in the English language Adaptations: Movie, theatre, TV comedy series But, that wasnt all Changed the paradigm of war writings: Powerful anti-war message Challenged the foundations of patriotism and obedience Reflected the irrationality/insanity of absolute bureaucracy Represented the new generation losing respect for illogical authority refusing to take anything at face value
- Slide 4
- DOES THAT RING A BELL?? NATIONALIS M WARS CORRUPTIO N NEPOTISM FAVOURITIS M MANIPULATIVE BUREAUCRATIC CONTRADICTIO NS Half century later Yossarian Lives!
- Slide 5
- THE BOOK MAKING OF A CLASSIC Full title Catch-22 Author Joseph Heller Type of work Novel Genre War novel; satire; Black humour, absurdist fiction, satire, war fiction, historical fiction Language English Time and place written 19551961, New York Date of first publication 1961 Publisher Simon & Schuster, Inc.
- Slide 6
- HISTORICAL SIGNIFICANCE IMPACT OF THE ANTI-HERO 1961 was the year when Berlin Wall was built U.S. ends diplomatic relations with Cuba WWII, Cold War, and Vietnam War still on everybodys minds How it became one of the most influential book in modern literature Huge impact on popular culture and literary circles Introduced the post-war world to the concept of Black Humor Gave the world its first true anti-hero Popularity with a strong cult following
- Slide 7
- THE GAMECHANGER KNOW THE AUTHOR Was in the U.S. Air Force during World War II Was a fighter pilot Won an Air Medal and a Presidential Unit Citation Left military in 1945 Received his English degree from Columbia University. Then he went to Oxford Later he became an English Professor at Pennsylvania State University Worked for magazines such as Time, Look, and McCalls Died of a heart attack JOSEPH HELLER (1923-1999)
- Slide 8
- SNEAK PEEK THE PLOT AND STYLE PLOT War novel, reflecting the absolute but illogical power of bureaucracy Set up in an imaginary island, Pianosa Our protagonist Captain Yossarian Conflict Catch-22 Takeaway No one can get off the ride STYLE Jumbled chronology Episodes of memories, flashbacks and character descriptions Point of view - focusing mostly on what Yossarian does and what Yossarian thinks and feels Tone Flatly satirical tone More than 50 characters over 500 pages
- Slide 9
- SNEAK PEEK CHARACTERS YOSSARIANDOC DANEEKAMILO MINDERBINDER CHAPLAINSNOWDEN Rome was destroyed, Greece was destroyed, Persia was destroyed, Spain was destroyed. Why not yours? How much longer. Do you really think your own country will last? Forever? Keep in mind that the earth itself is destined to be destroyed by the sun in the twenty million years or so.
- Slide 10
- FROM THE CRITICS LENS OUR EVALUATION "All over the world, boys on every side of the bomb line were laying down their lives for what they had been told was their country, and no one seemed to mind, least of all the boys who were laying down their young lives. There was no end in sight. Grand irony played out in hundred ways A hilarious start turns into a very emotional and thought provoking tale A story filled with paradoxes and dark humour Criticism on bureaucracy The disenchanting Catch-22! Orr would be crazy to fly more missions and sane if he didn't, but if he was sane he had to fly them. If he flew them he was crazy and didn't have to; but if he didn't want to he was sane and had to.
- Slide 11
- CONCLUSION CONNECTING SOME DOTS As long as there are borders and nation-states, Yossarian lives! The book delivers to us a cry of rebellion a war against the war.
- Slide 12
- THANK YOU
View more >