blended instruction for el modern learners
Post on 21-Jan-2018
Embed Size (px)
- 1. 1
- 2. 3 bit.ly/bi4mlpetaluma
- 3. # Martin Cisneros @TheTechProfe4 Do you have English Language Learners?
- 4. # Martin Cisneros @TheTechProfe5 When did you realize you needed different strategies?
- 5. 6 NoNot That Type of
- 6. 7
- 7. M artin Ricardo Cisneros EducationalInnovative Specialist @ TheTechProfe
- 8. 9 How did I get here?How did I get here?
- 9. # Martin Cisneros @TheTechProfe10
- 10. 11
- 11. 13
- 12. 14
- 13. # Martin Cisneros @TheTechProfe15 ESL Ghetto
- 14. The History
- 15. @ TheTechProfe
- 16. @ TheTechProfe
- 17. @ TheTechProfe
- 18. @ TheTechProfe
- 19. @ TheTechProfe
- 20. @ TheTechProfe
- 21. EXTRA!
- 22. What if the world was like HS Spanish Class of our time?
- 23. ESL Ghetto
- 24. Source: goo.gl/SWDKEp
- 25. goo.gl/Wl0AW6
- 26. CriticalVerbs CriticalNouns Source: goo.gl/9U08PX
- 27. CriticalVerbs CriticalNouns Source: goo.gl/9U08PX
- 28. COMMON CORE & ELD STANDARDS WHERE ARE WE?
- 29. Interpretive Productive Collaborative Part I: Interacting in Meaningful Ways Part II: Learning About How English Works Connecting & Condensing Ideas Expanding & Enriching Ideas Structuring Cohesive Text Part III: Using Foundational Literacy Native Language Emerging Expanding Bridging California ELD Standards
- 30. How is it Different Than What We did Before? 47
- 31. The Big Shift FROM Separate , self contained Sequential, set of rules, grammar based Grade span Simplied text - content after English Integrated with academic content: both integrated & designated Spiraling, social, meaning and context based Grade level Complex text - content doesnt wait for English TO
- 32. Three Components of what ELLs Need Access to Content Visuals TPR Total Physical Response Relia Labeling Repetition, review SDAIE - Specially Design Academic Instruction in English Language to Participate & Process How English Works Language Functions Graphic Organizers Differentiated Sentence Frames Designated ELD Oral Practice Explicit Instruction Contrastive analysis Unpacking
- 33. Math Social Studies Langage Arts Science ELD Separate Self - contained Program dened Minutes dened ELD/ESL Sequential Grammar & Rules Based How we were doing ELD & Content Teach English Access to Curriculum AM RU TS I C
- 34. Language Science 2010 Common Core ELA Adopted Math Social Studies Langage Arts Language is central to all academic areas AM RU TS I C
- 35. Integrated ELD AM RU TS I C Science Integrated & Designated ELD* Math Social Studies Langage Arts *PernewCAELDStandardsandELA/ELDFramework Designated ELD Integrated ELD
- 36. What are the language demands for accessing and participating in this content? Integrated ELD is provided to ELs throughout the school day and across all subjects by all teachers of ELs. The CA ELD Standards are use in tandem with the CA CCSS for ELA/Literacy and other current standards to ensure students strengthen their abilities to use English as they simultaneously learn content through English.
- 37. # Martin Cisneros @TheTechProfe55 Lesson Design
- 38. It can be like your 1st day as a teacher :-)
- 39. BEGIN WITH What are we teaching? What analytic task are we asking students to do? What is the CONTEXT for using language? What is the NEED & PURPOSE for using language?
- 40. For All Students Task Subject Language Resources What do you want your students to do? What is the Content they are engaging with? What language resources do they need in order to do the task with this content?
- 41. Students will deliver an oral presentation on how force effects the motion of an object using the language of cause and effect and academic vocabulary.
- 42. Scaolding Scaffolding does not change the intellectual challenge of the task, but instead allows the learners to successfully participate in or complete the task in order to build the knowledge and skills to be able to perform similar tasks independently in the future.
- 43. Task Subject Language Resources What do you want your students to do? What is the Content they are engaging with? What is the What language Resources do they Need in order to do the task with this content? ELD Standards Part 1 Interacting in meaningful ways Content standards & language functions ELD Standards Part 2 How English works
- 44. Find the ELD Standards
- 45. Look in the ELD standards Part I (Interacting in Meaningful Ways") to nd the type of INTERACTION this task requires writing, listening actively, exchanging ideas and information, interacting with others, offering opinions, reading closely, presenting, selecting and applying precise vocabulary and language structures Find the ELD Standards
- 46. Look in the ELD Standards Part II (How English Works) to locate the aspects of language students will need to carry out this task Understanding text structure and cohesion, using verbs and verb phrases, using nouns and noun phrases, modifying to add details, connecting ideas and condensing ideas * Note the suggested scaffolds and modications by English prociency level Find the ELD Standards
- 47. Example Students will deliver an oral presentation on how force effects the motion of an object using the language of cause and effect and academic vocabulary. ELD Standard Part 1.C.9 Interacting in Meaningful Ways, Productive Language, Presenting ** ELD Standards Part II, B 3, 4 and 5 Learning about how English works, expanding and enriching ideas, verbs, nouns and modifying to add details. Example
- 48. Add the ELD standards then delineate how to differentiate by ELL Levels Task Subject Language Resources Scaffolds + + + Scaffolds might include: using visuals or manipulative, charts and graphic organizers, sentence frames and supports and sentence starters, working in pairs or small groups, with teacher support and prompting, gestures nd drawing, briefness or extendedness of product The ELD stadnards provide a continuum of supports and scaffolds that will help with this!
- 49. Example of differentiated language objective with scaffolds specied * My Emerging Level ELL students..... will deliver a brief oral presentation as part of a small group using a collaboratively developed poster on how force effects the motion of an object using a basic _____because_____ cause and effect frame and academic vocabulary.
- 50. Example of differentiated language objective with scaffolds specied Students will deliver an oral presentation on how force effects the motion of an object using the language of cause and effect and academic vocabulary. * My Emerging Level ELL students..... will deliver a brief oral presentation as part of a small group using a collaboratively developed poster on how force effects the motion of an object using a basic _____because_____ cause and effect frame and academic vocabulary. All Students Ell Students
- 51. Draw and Label (pictorials) Shared research projects Graphic organizers Cooperative writing and editing Structured oral interaction & collaborative conversations Interactive dialogic read alouds Narrative retell Structured team tasks Content based chants Barrier Games Vocabulary in Context Researcher centers with hands-on materials Visuals Total Physical Response And more @ TheTechProfe
- 52. @ TheTechProfe
- 53. Draw and Label (pictorials) Shared research projects Graphic organizers Cooperative writing and editing Structured oral interaction & collaborative conversations Interactive dialogic read alouds Narrative retell Structured team tasks Content based chants Barrier Games Vocabulary in Context Researcher centers with hands-on materials Visuals Total Physical Response And more @ TheTechProfe
- 54. goo.gl/kZPRUv
- 55. bit.ly/mtv4ml http://bit.ly/MTV4ML
- 56. goo.gl/jLly blabberize.com
- 57. goo.gl/GCt2Dn goo.gl/9V74HX goo.gl/NkyaTi
- 58. 81 Unhelpful Providing Lengthy explanations without visual clues or relia Calling only on selected individuals to announce correct answers to entire class Providing only one way to respond to questions BEGINNING ELLS
- 59. 82 HELPFUL Showing visual and real objects that give clues about instruction Providing short, targeted instruction followed by active responses Using small group sharing to rehearse answers before raising hands to address the entire class BEGINNING ELLS
- 60. 83 AWWAPP.COM
- 61. 84 AutoDraw Google's AutoDraw tool uses artificial intelligence to help turn your doodles into awesome art. autodraw.com autodraw.com
- 62. 85 Google Translate App
- 63. Martin Cisneros is a great teacher
- 64. said his mother
- 65. What else?
- 66. Augment Your Sc hool Environment Practical Ways to Transform Your Physical Library Space with an Overlay of the Digital World Martin Cisneros Academic Technology Specialist@TheTechProfe Get The Preso bit.ly/arlc2015 @TheTechProfe
- 67. Santa Clara County Office of Education The best way of explaining it is to just SHOW IT
- 68. 93 UNHELPFUL Calling for a one word choral responses to questions Neglecting writing opportunities because students struggle with spelling grammar and punctuation Accepting only error free writing
- 69. 94 HELPFUL Beginning lessons on any topic with meaningful vocabulary instruction Providing opportunities to develop total uency with language games Providing response boards for students to write answ
View more >