out of 22
Post on 30-Apr-2015
Embed Size (px)
DESCRIPTIONA primer on citation for 8th grade students about to embrark on researching aspects of the holocaust.Uses the Highlander Way bibliography format as explained by Justin Bieber.
- 2. Bieberography Let Justin show you how to cite your information sources and create a bibliography
- 3. Now that youre practically in high school, teachers will be asking you to cite the information sources youve used to complete your projects and projects and papers a lot more often. Your teacher may also want you to make an alphabetical list of all your sources called a bibliography or works cited page.
- 4. Heres what a single citation looks like: Baron, Matt. Is Justin Bieber Hotter than the Surface of the Sun? Time . March 5, 2011, pp. 26-29. I bet you cant break down all the parts of the citation and guess what they are
- 5. Put a bunch of citations together alphabetically on a single page and youve got a bibliography. Heres what a bibliography looks like
- 7. Im dressed up cause citing sources is very formal. You have to do everything just so, and its all about style.
- When youre required to cite sources, your teacher will let you know what style or format to use.
- Some of the styles you might run into during your education are:
- 8. Here at Highlander Way, we have our own unique style. Its basic and flexible and its not unlike all those other styles you may be asked to use in high school and college, except that its simpler. Its called the Highlander Way Bibliography Format .
- 9. The reason I said citations are very formal is because they have to be written, formatted and punctuated in a precise way. Luckily, if youre using the Highlander Way Bibliography Format , theres a worksheet to help you keep track of your information sources and create proper citations for them. Take a good look at it
- 11. Understand how to use the worksheet to cite your sources? Lets dive right in and practice, then. Well do some citations together and well call for a volunteer to come up front and be the leader. Remember: everyone should fill out their worksheet as we practice.
- 12. Ive chosen to research Adolf Eichmann. Sure, he may look harmless, but he was definitely a nasty Nazi. The first information I used in my project came from this Lets CITE the SOURCE!
- 13. Title Page Back of title page.
- 14. The next thing I did was go to the database called Student Resources in Context. I entered the search term, eichmann, Adolf.
- 15. Heres just the top of what I saw first. Its the beginning of a list of different types of information sources about Adolf Eichmann. If you look at the list on the left, you might notice that there are five different types of information sources available about him. I just wanted a brief overview of Eichmanns life , a simple biography, so I chose the second article listed under reference.
- 16. Heres how the top of the article looked. I read the whole thing and took lots of notesit was really helpful. Now, its time to CITE the article. Can you handle that?
- 17. This is what I found at the bottom of the article. Notice, it says Source Citation. The citation shown is in a different style, so its not going to be exactly the same as ours, but its got all the bits and pieces we need.
- 18. Remember: U*X*L* Biographies is a REFERENCE source. Student Resources in Context is a database , meaning an online digital library. Just because the database is on the web doesnt make the information sources it contains websites. Databases can contain newspapers, magazines, reference sources, books, and lots more, so be careful.
- 19. Next I went to this great holocaust website and searched it for articles on Eichmann. There were a few. The first one was the best. Can you CITE it with me?
- 20. Heres the top of the article and web browser and heres what it said at the bottom of the article.
- 21. You rock at this! And just because you did so exceptionally well, Im going to send you something special A bag full of my hair! Peace out.
View more >
8th grade Content Standards - Oak Ridge History_Pacing.pdf · 8th grade Content Standards ... political…
8th Grade Advanced Physical Science Summer Assignments 2016/8th Grade...8th Grade Advanced Physical…