article “How to Mark a Book” by Mortimer J. Adler Read Adler’sgchs.ccs.k12.nc.us/files/2014/08/AP-English-Literature-and... ·…
Post on 05-Jun-2018
Embed Size (px)
AP English Literature and Composition Summer 2015
Grays Creek High School Dr. Shari Finkler, instructor
1. Please email me to confirm receipt of this assignment.
2. Print the article How to Mark a Book by Mortimer J. Adler
3. Read Adlers article, highlighting and annotating throughout.
4. Purchase the book How to Read Literature Like a Professor by
Thomas C. Foster. READ and annotate this book following the guidelines
presented by Adler in the article.
5. Create a review notecard (3 x 5 is fine) for each of the first 26 chapters of the Foster book. Each notecard should be handwritten. Put the chapter
number on the top line along with a title of your choice. Write at least three main points from each chapter, including important concepts,
terms, and/or definitions.
6. Purchase the book Lord of the Flies by William Golding. I prefer the
edition with an introduction by E.M. Forster, but you may use any
edition you can acquire. I have found copies at Barnes & Noble and on Amazon.com. You may be able to locate this edition elsewhere. You
must have an actual book; no e-books for this assignment. READ and annotate this book following the guidelines presented by Adler in the article. I should see evidence of your annotation on the pages of your
7. Please bring the article, both books, and your notecards on the first day of class. These materials will be graded.
8. Purchase a composition book (the hardback, black & white type) to use for daily poetry writing. Other supplies needed include: loose-leaf paper,
blue/black ink pens, highlighters.
Contact me if you have any questions about the materials or assignments. I look forward to our time together.mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org://chuma.cas.usf.edu/~pinsky/mark_a_book.htm