April 9. Present Past Future Present Perfect Past Perfect Future Perfect
out of 24
Post on 24-Dec-2015
Embed Size (px)
- Slide 1
- April 9
- Slide 2
- Present Past Future Present Perfect Past Perfect Future Perfect
- Slide 3
- Taking place in the present She reads a story to me. Repeated Actions We play tennis every Tuesday. Facts Windows are made of glass. Set by schedule The train leaves at 6pm Things happening in a sequence First you wet you hands, then you put soap on them, rinse and dry.
- Slide 4
- Active [Thing doing action] + [verb] + [thing receiving action] Once a week Tom cleans the car. The professor teaches the students. Passive [Thing receiving action] + [be] + [past participle of verb] + [by] + [thing doing action] Once a week, the car is cleaned by Tom. The students are taught by the professor.
- Slide 5
- Listen and fill in the blanks with the present form of the verbs you hear
- Slide 6
- Structure Verb+ed OR irregular verb (link on wiki) Completed Action in the Past I saw a movie yesterday. Series of Completed Actions I finished work, walked to the beach, and found a nice play to swim.
- Slide 7
- Duration in the Past I lived in Brazil for two years. Habits in the Past I studied French when I was a child. Past facts or Generalizations She was shy as a child, but now she is outgoing.
- Slide 8
- Active Tom repaired the car. I washed the dishes after breakfast. Passive The car was repaired by Tom. The dishes were washed by me after breakfast.
- Slide 9
- Change the verbs to the past tense
- Slide 10
- Structure [will + verb] OR [am/is/are + going to + verb] You will help him later. You are going to meet Jane tonight. WILL Voluntary action I will send you the information when I get it. WILL Express a Promise I will call you when I arrive.
- Slide 11
- Be going to Express Plan He is going to spend his vacation in Hawaii. WILL or Be going to Prediction The year 2222 will be an interesting year. The year 2222 is going to be an interesting year.
- Slide 12
- John will finish the work by 5:00. The work will be finished by John by 5:00. Sally is going to make a beautiful dinner tonight. A beautiful dinner is going to be made by Sally tonight. Which is which? How do you know?
- Slide 13
- 1. Ted: It is so hot in here! Sarah: I (turn) ___________________ the air- conditioning on. 2. I think he (be) ___________________ the next President of the United States. 3. After I graduate, I (attend) ___________________ medical school and become a doctor. I have wanted to be a doctor all my life.
- Slide 14
- 4. A: Excuse me, I need to talk to someone about our hotel room. I am afraid it is simply too small for four people. B: That man at the service counter (help) ___________________ you. 5. As soon as the weather clears up, we (walk) ___________________ down to the beach and go swimming.
- Slide 15
- Structure [has/have + past participle] Experience I have taught in Mexico. Change over Time The government has become
- Slide 16
- Accomplishments Our son has learned how to read. An Uncompleted Action you are Expecting You havent mastered English, but you can communicate. Multiple Actions at Different Times I have had four quizzes and five tests so far this year. From the Past Until Now She has been in England for 6 months.
- Slide 17
- 1. She (not / see) him for a long time. 1. (be / you) at school? 1. School (not / start) yet 2. (speak / he) to his boss? 1. No, he (have / not) the time yet.
- Slide 18
- 1. A: Did you like the movie "Star Wars?" B: I don't know. I (see, never) ___________________ that movie. 2. Sam (arrive) ___________________ in San Diego a week ago. 3. My best friend and I (know) ___________________ each other for over fifteen years. We still get together once a week.
- Slide 19
- 4. Stinson is a fantastic writer. He (write) ___________________ ten very creative short stories in the last year. One day, he'll be as famous as Hemingway. 5. I (have, not) ___________________ this much fun since I (be) ___________________ a kid. 6. Things (change) ___________________ a great deal at Coltech, Inc. When we first (start) ___________________ working here three years ago, the company (have, only) ___________________ six employees. Since then, we (expand) ___________________ to include more than 2000 full-time workers.
- Slide 20
- Structure [had + past participle] Completed action before another action in the past I had never seen such a beautiful beach before I went to Hawaii. Started in the past and continued until another action in the past We had had that car for ten years until it broke down.
- Slide 21
- I can't believe I (get) _____ that apartment. I (submit) _____ my application last week, but I didn't think I had a chance of actually getting it. When I (show) _____ up to take a look around, there were at least twenty other people who (arrive) _____ before me. Most of them (fill, already) _____ out their applications and were already leaving. The landlord said I could still apply, so I did.
- Slide 22
- Structure will have + past participle You will have perfected your English by the time you come back from the USA. am/is/are + going to have + past participle You are going to have perfected your English before you come back from the USA. Both structures mean almost exactly the same thing
- Slide 23
- Completed action before another action in the future By next November, I will have received my promotion. Continued action before another action in the future I will have been in London six months by the time I leave.
- Slide 24
- Anne ____ (repair) her bike next week. We ____ (do) the washing by 8:00. She ____ (visit) Paris by the end of next year. I ____ (finish) this by 6:00. Sam ____ (leave) by next week. She ____ (discuss) this with her mother after tonight.
View more >
Verb Tenses Present, Past, Future, Present Perfect, Past Perfect, Future Perfect, Emphatic, and Progressive
Grammar lesson 2 Present Perfect simple/ Past Simple Present Perfect simple/Continuous Present Perfect / Past Perfect