april 2013 rooster

Download April 2013 Rooster

Post on 31-Mar-2016




1 download

Embed Size (px)


In this edition of The Rooster we look forward to the Easter trip to Gordon's Well that starts in about a week. We also loof forward to rounding out the season at Dumont, and follow the progress of installing a V8 in P.J.'s car.


  • 1

    As mentioned above, the next trip will be Easter at Gordons Well from Thursday March 28th through Monday April 8th.

    We will again have an adult Easter egg hunt on Sunday, March 31st. Bring some eggs and prizes to hide in them or put in coupons for. This has become a fun annual tradition, so plan on joining in.

    P.J.s V8 installation is moving right along. Read more about the progress over the last few weeks on page 4.

    Steve Tharp is recovering from shoulder surgery that has kept him out of the dunes since Thanksgiving. As of one month after the surgery things are progressing and begin-ning to heal, but not enough that he could make the trip to

    Gordons Well like he had hoped. He is planning on a better river season, although likely without the backwards knee-boarding. Maybe a summer Coral Pink trip is just what he needs?

    Speaking of Coral Pink, individual site reservations may be made starting near the end of March for our trip, which will be July 11-20th 2013. Call (800) 322-3770 8AM-5PM Utah time for reservations.


  • 2

    The Rooster

    March 28th-April 8th: Easter Week at Gordons

    Well. Plan on an Easter Egg

    hunt on Sunday, March 31st.

    April 7th: Sand Sports Super Swap

    meet at the Orange County fair-

    grounds. Buy, sell, or just hang


    April 26-28th: Weekend trip to Dumont.

    So far this seems to be the pre-

    ferred weekend, but let us know

    if you really prefer the one be-

    fore or after.

    S M T W Th F Sa

    31 1 2 3 4 5 6

    7 8 9 10 11 12 13

    14 15 16 17 18 19 20

    21 22 23 24 25 26 27

    28 29 30

    S M T W Th F Sa

    1 2 3 4

    5 6 7 8 9 10 11

    12 13 14 15 16 17 18

    19 20 21 22 23 24 25

    26 27 28 29 30 31

    It is that time of the year where the season starts to wind down, and we say goodbye to Glamis for the summer. While this is a sad thing for most of us, it does mean there is the opportunity for a trip to Dumont before the weather heats up too much. We have done this trip about this time of year for many years now, and it is a real highlight of the season. If you can, make your plans now to join us the weekend of April 26-28th, which so far seems to be the most popular weekend with the group to go, but most of us are flexible so if you really cant go then and would prefer another weekend, let us know and well figure out when the most people can make it. I the mean time, here are some old Dumont pictures to convince you:

    The sand sports super swap will be held again this year, the weekend after Easter on April 7 from 8AM-3PM at the OC Fairgrounds. A few of us went last year, and despite there being few vendors we did find some deals. Some of us may get a space this year, so maybe well see you there.

  • 3

    The Rooster

    The Rooster



    Gordons Well Off Ramp


    Below is an aerial photo of the flats at Gordons Well. We usually camp near where the arrow indicates. Look for Jims blue over amber strobe, the yellow shop trailer, and the Bakers, Fords and Tranthams rigs.

    This year we will once again be having an Easter egg hunt in camp, and with how the calendar worked out we will have opportunity to have it on Easter Sunday. In this now-traditional Inland Empire event, the adults in camp search for eggs that the kids (with help from some others) have hidden on the buggies in the middle of camp. The eggs contain items (or certificates for items if they wont fit in the eggs) that the adults would be happy to get. If you would like to partici-

    pate, just bring 6-12 plastic eggs filled with inter-esting items. Part of the fun is seeing all the unique items people come up with to donate. Past favorites include carb cleaner, ice cream, candy (since you never outgrow sweets!), and of course money! It is great fun to search for the eggs and to see what prizes everybody gets. Peo-ple will compete pretty hard to see who can find the most hidden eggs, and inevitably we will find a few still hidden in the cars when were out on a ride later that day.

  • 4

    The Rooster

    When we left off last month, I had sold the V6 from my car and found the V8 wouldnt exactly fit width wise between the frame rails, so I proceeded to cut them out and fabricate new ones. This month Ill continue the story, reporting how with a lot of help from a lot of people we were able to accomplish a motor swap mid season. With the V8 sitting in its new home, I began work to make my new stronger motor mounts and frame reinforcement to handle the extra weight and torque of the V8. Besides working on Tuesday night, I also started to spend Saturdays at the shop, and made some great progress. On March 2nd, John and my Dad spent the day at the shop with me and we were able to get the headers tacked together. I had considered running the stock exhaust manifolds to save time, but John insisted that headers were the way to go, and working from a picture of his head-ers we quickly tacked the mandrel bends together into a neat set of headers. One cool thing we did was once we got the length and shape we wanted for each piece, we marked it on another piece for the other side, so the second side went very quickly. In addition to the headers, I added additional bars to strengthen the frame and support the motor mounts. I also added some cross bracing to the frame since I now knew exactly where the motor would be, so I did-nt have to leave extra room for the V8 like I had when we stretched the car. All in all, I put 40 feet of new .120 wall 1.5 inch tubing into the frame of the car. I did remove a fair amount of tube that used to be next to the motor and the old motor mounts, but just like with Johns car it is surprising how much tube it takes. I am looking forward to weighing the cars at the dunes sometime to see what the total effect of the motor swap (and frame stretching) winds up being. Im sure the performance will more than make up for the weight gain though, and keeping it from breaking is always a good thing.

    With the headers and frame bars tacked together, it was time to pull the motor back out of the car for finish welding. That same Saturday John and my Dad helped pull the motor at the end of the night. Unfortunately it turned into a major ordeal, because as we pulled it, the motor mount on one side broke free. This meant we had to re-install the motor to get everything in posi-tion, then weld up the mount better to hold it in place. After re-peating this process twice, we finally got to the point where the motor would not com free from the car. It turns out that the mo-tor mount plates were a little bigger than they needed to be, and they were keeping the block from lifting up and out of the car. Once they were securely held in place, so was the motor! I ended up cutting one plate back off, with the plan being to get everything else finished and then weld that piece in once the mo-

    (Continued on page 5)

    Dont look now, but there is a hole going right through the middle of the oil pan...where the

    front axle went.

  • 5

    The Rooster

    tor was in the car for good, and of course after the plates had been clearance to allow the motor to be remov-able. The next Tuesday Barry and Dean spent a lot of time welding the frame. We used the forklift to lift up the car and get access to weld the bottom of the tubes, which revealed some cavernous gaps that needed to be filled. While they welded, I prepared the motor for installation by adding the pilot bear-ing, flywheel, and pressure plate. It turned out I was missing the bolts for the pressure plate, so that would have to wait till later in the week. Before the night was over though I was able to get a coat of paint on the newly added bars, and the frame was ready for the motor to go back in. I arranged to meet Scott and John at the shop after work on Thursday, and we stuck the motor in. It went very well, probably in part due to our practice putting it in and out the Saturday before. Scott then reattached the motor mount plate, and did some more motor mount welding. Now that the motor was in, I was basically ready to do everything else to finish it up. That turned out to be a lot of stuff, but it started with installing the battery holder and computer mount. I had splurged on a pretty Optima battery holder at KarTek, in part since John insisted on a sealed battery since

    there is the possibility that it might be upside down at some point. With the bigger motor and all the electronics on the car, it was nice to upgrade from a lawn and garden battery. I also bent up some tubing to serve as radiator lines, since the V8 has the outlets on the opposite side from the Shortstar, so water needs to go from the left rear of the wing to the right front of the motor. I basically copied

    Johns, and used cheap fence tabs from IMS that I picked up for 10 cents a piece to mount the tubes. Speaking of nickel and dime stuff, with the rare exception of those cheap tabs (which actually were a dime) it seemed the default price for stuff on the car now is $60. Need intake fittings and hose, $60 shipped. Need some stuff from Home Depot, thatll be about $60. Make a trip to Auto Zone, thatll take about three $20 bills as well. Twenty feet of tub-ing, thatll be $60 too. It is funny how quickly that stuff adds up, but we all know how that goes. Back at the shop on Tuesday, Dean continued work on welding up the headers. The process was complicated by a fussy TIG machine at the shop, so Dean agreed to take them home