anything you want (by derek sivers)
out of 13
Post on 23-Aug-2014
Embed Size (px)
- Anything you want40 Lessons for a New Kind of Entrepreneur By Derek Siver Ed. The Domino Project, 2011
- "Im a student, not a guru" Most people dont know why theyre doing what theyre doing. They imitate others, go with the flow, and follow paths without making their own. They spend decades in pursuit of something that someone convinced them they should want, whitout realizing that it wont make them happy. Dont be on your deathbed someday, having squandered your one chance at life, full of regret because you pursue little distractions instead of big dreams. You need to know your personal philosophy of what makes you happy and whats worth doing.
- No "yes". Either "Hell Yeah !" or "no" Ideas are worth nothing unless they are executed. The are just a multiplier. Execution is worth millions. Explanation : Awfull idea = -1 So-so idea = 1 Good idea = 5 Great idea = 15 Brilliant idea = 20 No execution = $ 1 Weak execution = $ 1000 So-so execution = $ 10 000 Good execution = $ 100 000 Great execution = $ 1 000 000 Brilliant execution = $ 10 000 000 To make a business, you need to multiply the two components.
- The will to die for your customers A business is started to solve a problem. But if the problem was truly solved, that business would no longer be needed ! Your company should be willing to die for your customers. Care about your customers more than about yourself. And youll do well !
- We want to give to those who give If you set up your business like you dont need the money, people are happier to pay you. When someones doing something for the money, people can sense it, like a desperate lover. Its a turnoff. When someones doing something for love, being generous instead of stingy, trusting instead of fearful, it triggers this law : we want to give to those who give.
- Little things make all the difference Dont punish everyone for one persons mistake. Even if you want to be big someday, remember that you never need to act like a big boring Company. Never promise a customer that you could do something that is beyond your full control.
- To BE is the real point In the end, its about what you want to be, not what you want to have. To have something (a finished recording, a business or millions of dollars) is the means, not the end. To be something (a good singer, a skilled entrepreneur or just plain happy) is the real point.
- Dont forget what makes you really happy ! Trust, but verify. Delegate, but dont abdicate. Delegate or die : being a good manager means that you have to make yourself unnecessesary to the running of your company. Because your team is running the business, you are free to actually improve the business ! There is a big difference between being self-employed and being a business owner. Being self- employed feels like freedom untill you realize that if you take time off, your business crumbles. To be a true business owner, make sure you could leave for a year and when you came back, your business would be doing better than when you left. Never forget that you can make your role anything you want it to be. Anything you hate to do, someone else loves. So find that person and let him do it. Make sure you know what makes you happy, and dont forget it.
- A business is a reflection of the creator Business is as creative as the fine arts. You can be as unconventional, unique and quirky as you want. A business is a reflection of the creator : - Some people want to be billionnaires with thousands of employees. Some people want to work alone. - Some want as much profit as possible. Some want as little profit as possible. - Some want to be in Silicon Valley with Fortune 500 customers. Some want to be anonymous. No matter which goal you choose, there will be lots of people telling you youre wrong. Just pay close attention to what excites you and what drains you. Pay close attention to when youre being the real you and when youre trying to impress an invisible jury. Even if what youre doing is slowing the growth of your business if it makes you happy, thats OK. Its your choice to remain small. Whatever you make, its your creation, so make it your personal dream come true.
- What is it to be an entrepreneur ?
- Photo : D. Sharon Pruitt
- Its the only way, a passion & a mission, not a job ! What is it to be an entrepreneur ? Its to be stuck in a sand pit of your own devising, heldimmobile by tiny rocks and enjoying every moment of it.People see what they choose to see when they look at this photo, just as the way we see the lifeof the entrepreneur is a bit of a Rorschach test. For some, its a trap. For others, its the only way,a passion and a mission, not a job.We hope that day soon youll feel the same joy this little boy does, because thats what it feels liketo pursue the thing you want, to do ot with certainty and excitement. Photo : D. Sharon Pruitt
- Contact Tel. + 33 (0) 450 275 349 Cell. + 33 (0) 675 705 859 firstname.lastname@example.org www.switchconsulting.frFollow us on
View more >