analytics 101 for startups
out of 41
Post on 19-Aug-2015
Embed Size (px)
- 1. ANALYTICS101 For Startups
- 2. Whats coming up? What to measure? Pirate metrics 101. What tools can I use? What does GoSquared track?
- 3. What should a startup measure?
- 4. Subscribers Activations Views Churn Cancelations Big Data Upgrade Uniques Impressions ransactions Repeats Pageviews Comments Downgrades Conversions Visits otations Follows Cohorts Growth Upsells Hits Goals Favourites Engagement
- 5. Track everything.* Focus on what matters.* Everything you can think of. You never know when you might need it.
- 6. ProtipVanity metrics are everywhere.
- 7. We need to focus on metrics that help us track our business.
- 8. Lets take a look at one of the best ways to do that
- 9. Pirate metrics (none of these people are Dave McClure)
- 10. A A R R R
- 11. Acquisition Activation R etention R evenue R eferral
- 12. Acquisition How you gain new users.
- 13. Track things likeTotal signups CAC (Customer Acquisition Cost) Leading indicators: Twitter Followers New unique visitors to site Facebook likes Subscribers to mailing list
- 14. Activation Turning mere signups into activated users. (Get the on-boarding right)
- 15. Some rather successful companies track things likeUser follows more than 15 people. Installs tracking code. Downloads and installs the native app. Finds what they searched for in under 10 seconds.
- 16. RetentionUSING OUR PRODUCT
- 17. Retention Keeping users happy. Reducing churn.
- 18. Track things likeChurn % of users who cancel in a given timeframe DAU / WAU / MAU (Daily / Weekly / Monthly Active Users) Customer Support metrics
- 19. Revenue Making money. Crazy, huh?
- 20. Track things likeMRR (Monthly Recurring Revenue) Average MRR / user AOV (Average Order Value) CLTV (Customer Lifetime Value)
- 21. Referral
- 22. Referral People like your product enough to recommend it to their friends.
- 23. Track things likeNPS (Net Promoter Score) No. of signups via referral
- 24. Cohort analysis
- 25. What is cohort analysis? Cohort analysis allows a company to see patterns clearly across the lifecycle of a customer (/user), rather than slicing across all customers blindly without accounting for the natural cycle that a customer undergoes. Source: Alistair Croll; Benjamin Yoskovitz. Lean Analytics: Use Data to Build a Better Startup Faster
- 26. Track by cohort Break metrics apart. Helps you understand how you are improving things.
- 27. % of users who signed inCohort analysis for sign in activityTimeSignups in October Signups in DecemberSignups in November Signups in JanuarySignups in February
- 28. Toolsunsplash.com
- 29. Analytics Some basicsWordpress (Jetpack Stats) Facebook Insights Twitter Analytics
- 30. Analytics Next stepsGoSquared Clicky ChartbeatKISSmetrics Gauges Mixpanel
- 31. Analytics Full featured, but complexGoogle Analytics Omniture WebTrends Piwik
- 32. A/B testing
- 33. Visualising data
- 34. ProtipLearn to love MySQL.
- 35. What does an analytics company like GoSquared track?
- 36. Metrics we obsess over Signups (by source) Activations by signup week DAU, WAU, MAU NPSMRR, MRR / customer CLTV
- 37. Set targets. Track everything. Focus. Always be testing. Ask so what?
- 38. Most importantlyAct now. Not tomorrow.
- 39. Youve been viewingAnalytics 101 for Startups byThe GoSquared Team
- 40. Sources Pirate Metrics by Dave McClure: http://www.slideshare.net/dmc500hats/startup-metrics-for-pirates-long-version Lean Analytics: Alistair Croll; Benjamin Yoskovitz. Lean Analytics: Use Data to Build a Better Startup Faster!Images !http://littlevisuals.co/ http://unsplash.com/ http://wallpaperswide.com/pirates_of_the_caribbean_on_stranger_tides_2011_movie-wallpapers.html Olly Plumstead: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a. 10152234031736354.1073741826.138182321353&type=1&l=bd5230316c
View more >