Air, Noise, and Light Pollution Section 12.2 Objectives: 1. Describe 3 possible short-term effects and long-term effects of air pollution on human health.
Post on 22-Dec-2015
Embed Size (px)
- Slide 1
- Air, Noise, and Light Pollution Section 12.2 Objectives: 1. Describe 3 possible short-term effects and long-term effects of air pollution on human health. 2. Explain what causes indoor air pollution and how it can be prevented. 3. Describe 3 human health problems caused by air pollution.
- Slide 2
- Short-term Effects of Air Pollution on Health 1. 1. Headache 2. 2. Nausea 3. 3. Eye, nose, and throat irritation 4. 4. Chest tightness 5. 5. Coughing 6. 6. Upper respiratory infections (bronchitis, pneumonia) 7. 7. Worsened symptoms for people with asthma and emphysema
- Slide 3
- Long-term Health Effects of Air Pollution Emphysema Lung cancer Heart disease Damaged lungs Worsened medical conditions in the elderly
- Slide 4
- Assignment: Indoor Air Pollution Make 2 columns on your paper. Write down all the possible sources of indoor air pollution that you can think of: At home? At school? At work? Add any that are named that you do not have on your list.
- Slide 5
- Indoor Air Pollution Sometimes indoor air is worse than the air outside. Chemicals are released by carpet, paint, building materials, and furniture. Sick-building syndrome: a set of symptoms such as headache, fatigue, eye irritation, and dizziness, that may affect workers in modern, airtight office buildings; believed to be caused by indoor pollutants
- Slide 6
- Indoor Air Pollution (cont.) Radon gas Colorless, odorless, and tasteless Radioactive Produced in the earths crust by decaying uranium Seeps into buildings and sticks to dust particles Asbestos: minerals that form long, thin fibers that are strong and heat- resistant Fibers can be inhaled and lodge in lungs.
- Slide 7
- Continue Assignment: Indoor Air Pollution List some ways to prevent or reduce the effects of such pollution.
- Slide 8
- Internet Assignment Research five respiratory diseases that are caused by or aggravated by air pollution. Find the following information about each disease: Name of disease Symptoms Treatment Age groups most likely affected Relationship b/t disease and air pollutants
- Slide 9
- Respiratory Diseases Name of Disease SymptomsTreatmentAge Groups Most Affected Relationship to Air Pollutants
- Slide 10
- KNOW for the TEST! Section Review (p.313): 1, 2, 6
View more >
AirSection 2 Objectives Describe three possible short-term effects and long-term effects of air pollution on human health. Explain what causes indoor air.
Module-3 Air Pollution Effects & Control. Lecture-1 Air pollution effects: On living and nonliving beings.
Synopsis of Research Report 187: Causal Inference Methods ... Causal Inference Methods for Estimating Long-Term Health Effects of Air Quality Regulations, ... term effects of air pollution interventions on health
Parametric and semi-parametric approaches in the analysis of short-term effects of air pollution on health
The Health Effects of Air Pollution - John Locke Foundation health effects of air pollution | separating science and propaganda policy report The Health Effects of Air Pollution Separating Science
AIR and Air Pollution Health Effects A. Short-term effects reversible 1. headache 2. nausea 3. irritation to eyes, nose, & throat 4. tightness in chest.
Estimating the Health Effects of Ambient Air Pollution and ... the Health Effects of Ambient Air Pollution and Temperature Bart Ostro, Ph.D., Chief Air Pollution Epidemiology Section Office of Environmental Health ...
SECTION 2 Air, Noise, and Light Pollution - BEATS INFOmh Chapter 12 Air The Health Effects ... Section…
EV CNLESE904016 CXXOP - pritzk 1 What Causes Air Pollution? Section 2 Air, Noise, and Light Pollution…
Air pollution and human...Estimating Health Effects due to changes in Air pollution ... effects Of air pollution are more pronounced in the developing countries. On