Adapting to Change
Post on 11-Aug-2014
DESCRIPTIONVIDEO: https://vimeo.com/94589063 As designers, we constantly manage the chaos of mastering a craft, being diverse, all the while trying to differentiate ourselves and adapting our processes and deliverables in an industry that changes at lightening speeds. As if the web wasnt difficult enough, the advent of mobile product design and service design has created an entirely new industry and career paths, completely disrupting everything we knew about engagements, processes, deliverables, and expectations of design teams and agencies. Face it, the industry is constantly changing and so should we. Let's learn to embrace change and use it to intentionally position ourselves for constant reinvention and how to fashion the skills and environments necessary for creating meaningful products in the modern age and beyond. Presented at MobileCamp Chicago 2014
- ADAPTING TO CHANGE ANTHONY ARMENDARIZ @MANTWAN
- To improve is to change. To be perfect is to change OFTEN. WINSTON CHURCHILL
- HELLO MY NAME IS ANTHONY A.K.A @MANTWAN
- EXPERIENCE DIRECTOR (I help internal teams and client partners think outside of the box to create innovative and delightful user experiences.)
- 1996 ARTIST MULTIMEDIA DESIGNER FRONT-END DEVELOPER WEB DESIGNER INTERACTIVE ADVERTISING VISUAL DESIGN LEAD CREATIVE DIRECTOR VP OF UX & DESIGN PRODUCT DESIGNER 3 TIMES FREELANCE DESIGNER 2 TIMES AGENCY OWNER 2014 EXPERIENCE DIRECTOR
- OVER 18 YEARS, IVE BEEN 14 TYPES OF DESIGNER THATS ONE EVERY 1.2 YEARS
- 60 40 SELF EMPLOYMENT VS. EMPLOYMENT
- 75 25 DESIGNER VS. MANAGER
- REINVENTED MYSELF CONSTANTLY
- TO CHANGE OUR PERSONAL LIVES WE STARTED AN AGENCY TOGETHER
- I HIRED MYSELF OUT OF A JOB (And Im learning to adapt to that change.)
- There was a time when Apple couldnt be taken seriously and then there was a time when they UNKNOWN made the rest of the world demand only the highest quality design products and experiences. This is when we finally had a seat at the table.
- DAMN, IT FEELS GOOD TO BE A GANGSTA
- EVERYONE WANTS WHAT WE CREATE. (AND THEIR ADDICTED)
- THERES A TALENT WAR GOING ON.
- MOMS BASEMENT
- THE TOOLS WE CREATED CREATED MORE OF US.
- As a designer, youre constantly trying to improve. In this industry, if you are standing JOE WILLIAMS @STUDIOROHAN still, youre falling behind.
- A STORY OF CHANGE OUR ROOTS
- THE MACINTOSH 1984
- Anyone with a computer regardless if they had any experience or not could produce design. MY DAD - ISRAEL ARMENDARIZ I felt the quality was inferior and that it lacked the artistic touch. In my case I decided I would find find a new career rather than compete with rapid work.
- ANTIQUE SITES 1995-2000
- FLASH 1999
- WEB 1.0 (K10K.NET) 1999
- TAKING YOUR TALENT TO THE WEB by JEFFREY ZELDMAN 2001
- FLASHWEB BASED PRODUCTS 2001
- A MATURE WEB 2005-NOW
- WEB 2.0 2006
- WE CREATED AN INDUSTRY FULL OF DESIGN SPECIALTIES THAT DIDNT EXIST BEFORE.
- AT THE SAME TIMETHIS IS WHAT MOBILE LOOKED LIKE
- AND DESIGNING FOR IT WAS HORRIBLE.
- AND THEN CAME THE IPHONE.
- LIKE GOOGLE GLASSES, IT WAS A BIT SILLY AT FIRST BUT IT CHANGED OUR PERCEPTION.
- BUT NOW MOBILE WEB MATTERED
- APP LEAFLETS
- THEY WERE DESIGNED BY DEVELOPERS. SOUND FAMILIAR?
- DIGITAL DESIGN AGENCIES ARE COMPLETELY DISRUPTED THE PARADIGM SHIFT
- WE GENERALLY SPECIALIZED AND THOUGHT THAT WE WOULD BE OKAY THE PROBLEM WEB DESIGNERS MOBILE DESIGNERS &
- At times of change, the LEARNERS are the ones who will inherit the world, while the KNOWERS will be beautifully prepared for a world which no longer exists. ERIC HOFFER
- POUR ONE OUT FOR THE HOMIES
- GOODBYE WEB MASTER
- HASTA LA VISTA PRINT DESIGNER
- CIAO FLASH DUDE
- ADIOS INFORMATION ARCHITECT
- SAYONARA WEB DESIGNER
- PEACE OUT MOBILE DESIGNER
- HELLO PRODUCT DESIGNER
- INDUSTRIAL DESIGN BRANDING SOCIAL MEDIA ANALOG DESIGN MARKETING & ADVERTISING DIGITAL PRODUCTS
- DIGITAL ECOSYSTEMS
- IT DOESNT WORK. THE WATERFALL PROCESS
- Proposal Contract Kick-Off Meeting Project Brief Project Schedule Strategy Project Brief DISCOVERY User Personas FVA Requirements Wireframes Prototype DEFINE Moodboards Conceptual Design Visual Design Style Guide DESIGN Front-End Code Engineering Testing & QA Release Support DEVELOP WATER FALL PROCESS EXAMPLE DURATION 6 Mos. with a Creative Director, Information Architect/Interaction Designer, Visual Designer, Developer
- SURE, AGILE IS A BUZZ WORD. BUT IT WORKS. AGILE/LEAN PROCSS
- MVP or Subset of Features (every 2 Weeks) AVERAGE DURATION: 6 Mos. ! TEAM: Product Owner/Client Product Designer Developer Requirements Design Develop & Release User Test THE AGILE PROCESS EXAMPLE
- PRODUCT DESIGN SKILLZ VISUAL DESIGN HEAVY 10% 20% 70% INTERACTION HEAVY 10% 70% 20% PM HEAVY 75% 20% 5% AN EVEN SPLIT 33% 33% 33%
- Hire a Product Designer who knows iOS, Android, Windows, and great at UX but is also HE WHO WILL NOT BE NAMED a talented illustrator.
- WILSON MINER WHEN WE BUILD If the environment is always changing, then we need to be always learning.
- future predictionsLETS TAKE A GLIMPSE INTO THE FUTURE
- THEYRE EVERYWHERE. (OBVIOUSLY)
- MOVIE IRON MAN
- MOVIE HER
- If the project you worked on hit the market and no body wanted it, nobody used it, DAVID COLE would you blame yourself? If the answer is no then I think you do not have enough authority. If youre blaming others for the outcomes in your work, its time to demand more.
- THE HALF-PIPE EFFECT PAST MOBILEWEB PRODUCT DESIGN FUTURE
- THEN NOW
- EMBRACING CHANGE
- LEARN TO SELF MANAGE AND SUPPORT YOUR TEAM 1
- REACQUAINT YOURSELF WITH SOUND, ANIMATION & MOTION GRAPHICS. (AND 3D IF YOURE BRAVE ENOUGH) 2
- 3 ITS ALWAYS ABOUT WHAT THE USER WANTS AND NEEDS. NOT YOU.
- 4 DEVELOP T-SHAPED SKILLS
- BREADTH OF KNOWLEDGE DEPTHOFEXPERTISE
- 5 GOOD OR BAD, A UX IS A RESULT OF WHAT YOU AND YOUR TEAM CREATES. ITS NOT A ROLE.
- EMBRACE AGILE 6
- 5 LEARN MOBILE ALREADY 7
- KNOWING IOS ISNT EVEN HALF OF THE BATTLE 8
- ITS NOT JUST ABOUT HOW IT LOOKS AND FEELS. DESIGN IS HOW IT WORKS. 9 STEVE JOBS
- THE PROBLEM ISNT SOLVED UNTIL IT CAN BE DEMONSTRATED. 10
- PHOTOSHOP IS NOT THE CANVAS. THE TECHNOLOGY IS. 11 MATTHEW ARMENDARIZ
- SHOULD DESIGNERS CODE?
- UNDERSTANDING TECHNOLOGY (OUR CANVAS) WILL HELP US CREATE BETTER WORKS OF ART
- LEARN TO SELL YOUR WORK AND ESTIMATE ON THE SPOT. 12
- LEAD, FOLLOW, AND GET OUT OF THE WAY 13
- OR MAYBE YOU ALREADY KNOW THIS AND I AM THE ONE WHO NEEDS TO CHANGE. 14
- RICHARD TIRENDI If youre the smartest person in the room, you might be in the wrong room.
- THANK YOU & LETS KEEP IN TOUCH WWW.FUNSIZE.CO ! " # ANTHONY@FUNSIZE.CO @MANTWAN @FUNSIZE
View more >
Hedge Accounting Adapting to change - IAS Plus ? Hedge Accounting Adapting to change. Background The
Adapting to Climate Variability and Change in Bangladesh ? Adapting to Climate Variability and Change
Adapting to climate change - Oxfam America change is its access to and control over ... and agriculture. Oxfam America Adapting to climate change. Oxfam America Adapting to climate change
Rural Communities adapting to Climate Change Opportunities for ICTs Rural Communities adapting to Climate Change.