Adapting Agriculture to Climate Change
out of 28
Post on 18-Dec-2014
Embed Size (px)
DESCRIPTIONSpeaker: Tony McQuail Session: Bridging the Capacity of Agriculture to Adapt to Climate Change
- 1. Adapting Agriculture to Climate Change Bring Food Home November 17, 2013 Tony McQuail
- 2. Big Challenges Climate Change Peak Oil - Peak Everything? Environmental Degradation Economic Inequity Social Deterioration Can we develop approaches that address all these challenges at once? Agriculture is the largest land use on the planet How it is structured has profound implications for all these challenges.
- 3. Meeting Place Organic Farm
- 4. Solar energy at Meeting Place Organic Farm And Carbon Sequestration
- 5. HOLISTIC MANAGEMENT Creating The Life You Want
- 6. HOLISTIC MANAGEMENT How to: Care for your PEOPLE Improve the LAND Make a PROFIT By making better decisions
- 7. Bare Capped Soil - Zimbabwe Allan Savory and African Range Land 6 months later After - 200 cattle & 100 goats in a new area each day Improving land health by learning to mimic Nature Particularly with grazing animals for animal impact and herd effect. Two Years Later
- 8. Holistic Decision Making Uses A HOLISTIC GOAL and SEVEN TESTING QUESTIONS
- 9. Steps in HM Process Create a Holistic Goal with inclusive group Quality of Life Forms of Production Future Resource Base Learn & Use Seven Testing Questions Keep moving forward towards Holistic Goal Learn About 4 ecosystem Processes Water Cycle, Mineral Cycle, Community dynamics Energy Flow Use Planning Processes Weak link determination Financial analysis and forecasting Plan-Monitor-Control- Replan.
- 10. Adaptation not just Farm Sally talk about Transition Town movement. Follow with discussion Break Then resume with some stories from Meeting Place Organic Farm
- 11. Discussion 20 Minutes Total 5 minutes -individually to consider -How can you apply these ideas to your own life NOW? - How would the application of these ideas improve or damage your community? 15 minutes group discussion Appoint a recorder
- 12. Holistic Management Examples from MPOF Holistic Goal 4 ecosystem processes Testing Questions Financial Management Monitor/replan
- 13. A Family Holiday?? In The Summer????
- 14. August 1996 in BC
- 15. Replace Snow Blower?
- 16. Testing = Snow Scoop
- 17. Energy & Community
- 18. Financial Planning Developed New Enterprises CSA Garden Pick Up Freezer Meat Retailing
- 19. Adapting Agriculture? Need to have a vision of where to go Need to have a process that guides us Need to accept we may be wrong Need to be able to correct our direction Need to work with others
- 20. Lots of Systems Organic Ag Ecological Ag Permaculture Restoration Agriculture Regenerative Agriculture Regrarian Community Supported Agriculture Holistic Management is a process that can work with any system.
- 21. Give out Handout Any last comments or questions?
View more >
Adapting Agriculture to Climate Change: Developing ... Report 1 January 2011-30 June 2014 Adapting Agriculture to Climate Change: Developing Promising Strategies Using Analogue Locations in
Adapting Agriculture to Climate Change and Variability in Chitwan: Long-Term Trends and Farmers’ Perceptions
Adapting agriculture to climate change in Solomon brief number 4 adapting...Adapting agriculture to climate change in Solomon Islands Analysing the costs and benefits of options Introduction This brief sets out the findings from a cost ...
Adapting the Agriculture Sectors - Climate change ??s work on DISASTER RISK REDUCTION (DRR), CLIMATE CHANGE ADAPTATION (CCA) and CLIMATE RESILIENCE Mainstreaming of DRR and CCA into agriculture
Australia’s coastline: adapting to climate ??s coastline: adapting to climate change ... Australia’s coastline: adapting to climate change www ... Changing climate will bring changing ...
Adapting African Agriculture to Climate Change - kalro. the key options for adapting agriculture to climate change, soil and water management measures including irrigation ﬁgure prominently. This is mainly
ADAPTING CLIMATE IMPACTED Climate...2 ADAPTING CLIMATE IMPACTED AGRICULTURE IN SOUTH ASIA the opportunity associated with the change in the climatic system. It is
GLOBAL CLIMATE ACTION AGRICULTURE AND ... - Climate GLOBAL CLIMATE ACTION AGRICULTURE AND FOOD SECURITY ACTION EVENT 16 NOVEMBER 2016 Adapting Agriculture to Climate Change for Food Security The climate change commitments put forward in [I]NDCs show that agriculture is a priority,
Adaptation to Climate Change in Agriculture – Europe and ... to Climate Change in Europe and Central Asia Agriculture 1. ... Adapting to Climate Change in ECA Countries, ... agriculture to climate change, ...
adapting to coastal climate change - URI Coastal to coastal climate change ... Agriculture, and Trade, in ... The challenges we all must face in adapting to climate variability and change present themselves ...
Adapting to climate change - Oxfam America food provision given the impacts of climate change on agriculture.13 ... . Oxfam America Adapting to climate change. Oxfam America Adapting to climate change ...
Adapting agriculture to a changing . agriculture to a changing climate. Challenges for agricultural systems modelling Reimund P Rtter ... Climate Change, Agriculture and Food Security
Adapting agriculture with traditional role of biocultural systems in adapting to climate change. In all three cases — the Karst mountains of ... Adapting agriculture with traditional knowledge
Architectural Education Adapting to Climate Architectural Education Adapting to Climate Challenges in…
A Guide to Climate Change and Adaptation in Agriculture impacts of climate change on agriculture ... understanding and adapting to changing climate ... A Guide to Climate Change and Adaptation in Agriculture ...
Adapting agriculture to climate change: a review adapting agriculture to climate change. The review iden-tifies the binding constraints to adaptation at the farm level.