2015 april bpl events
Post on 18-Aug-2015
Embed Size (px)
- 1. Stay in Touch with Berkeley Public Library Our monthly e-newsletters are full of information about the great programs, events and services that are provided at all our Library locations. The e-newsletter archive contains all our past e-newsletters. To sign up for newsletters or read past issues, look for the STAY IN TOUCH box on our homepage at: www.berkeleypubliclibrary.org
- 2. South & West Branch Libraries honored for outstanding design by Berkeley Design Advocates South and West Branch libraries were honored for outstanding design, along with ten other building projects completed between January 2013 and December 2014, in the 11th Biennial BDA Design Awards ceremony on March 18, 2015. Berkeley Design Advocates (BDA) is a membership organization of architects, landscape architects, planners, builders and design professionals established in 1973 to promote excellence in the built environment of Berkeley. South Branch Photo: D. Wakely, 2013 West Branch Photo: D. Wakely, 2014
- 3. Central Library Claremont Branch North Branch South Branch Tool Lending Library West Branch MON 12-8 10-6 10-6 10-6 Closed 10-6 TUE 10-8 10-8 10-8 10-8 10-6:00 10-8 WED 10-6 10-8 10-8 10-8 12-8:00 10-8 THU 10-6 12-8 12-8 12-8 12-8:00 12-8 FRI 10-6 10-6 10-6 10-6 1-6:00 10-6 SAT 10-6 10-6 10-6 10-6 10-6:00 10-6 SUN 1-5 Closed Closed Closed Closed Closed Library Hours
- 4. Spend the day gliding through an art museum, learning more about science, observing animals or playing pinball on a vintage pinball machine! Discover & Go provides Berkeley Public Library card holders (adult and senior cards only) access to free or discounted passes to amazing venues throughout the Bay Area. To reserve & print your passes today, visit: http://discover.berkeleypubliclibrary.org/
- 5. Tool Lending Library Hours Monday Closed Tuesday 10am 6pm Wednesday 12noon 8pm Thursday 12noon 8pm Friday 1pm 6pm Saturday 10am 6pm Sunday Closed Tool Lending Library 1901 Russell Street
- 6. Mondays, 4:30-5:30 pm 1125 University Avenue
- 7. Beginner Computer Class @Central Electronic Classroom Free, Drop-In Classes - Relaxed Atmosphere - Self-Paced. Learn how to use the mouse, use the keyboard, set up email and search the Internet. For more information call 510-981-6148. Mondays, 6pm 7pm 2090 Kittredge Street Thursdays, 10am 11am 2090 Kittredge Street
- 8. Tiny Tots Storytime & Playtime Books, songs, finger plays, friendly puppets & movement activities for ages 6-36 months. Followed by open play time. For babies, toddlers and walkers, accompanied by a parent/ caregiver. ** Not suitable for most daycare groups. Tuesday mornings, 10:15-11:10 am 1901 Russell Street
- 9. Tax Help West Branch will offer tax help on Tuesday & Wednesday afternoons from 12-3 pm. Reservations are required. Call 510-981-6270 to schedule your appointment 2 weeks in advance. Tuesday & Wednesday appointments, Feb. 3-Apr. 15 1125 University Avenue - Call 510-981-6270 for appointment.
- 10. Read & Share Book Club A book club for anyone who likes to read and wants to share the books they have read with others. Everyone is welcome. 4th Tuesday of the month, 3-4 pm 1901 Russell Street
- 11. Paws to Read Spring Session 2015 Children in grades K - 5 may come to read aloud to a friendly dog. Bring a book or choose one here. Parents may call ahead and sign up or drop in for a session at either 3:30 or 4:00 p.m. Dogs provided by TherapyPets. Tuesdays, March 31-May 5 @3:30-4:30PM 1170 The Alameda
- 12. Teen Crafternoon Tuesday afternoons, 4-5 pm 1901 Russell Street Teens! Express yourself through crafting at this laidback, self-paced workshop. The specific craft will change from week to week, but you can bet it will be awesome. All materials provided, just bring your imagination! All middle and high school-age teens welcome.
- 13. THING MAKE SOME Tuesdays, 4:30pm 5:30pm West Branch 1125 University Avenue A different project every week! This event is open to all teens! Supplies and refreshments provided!
- 14. Join Berkeley Public Librarys Playreaders We meet weekly to read aloud from great plays, changing parts frequently. On hiatus during the last two weeks of December, and the month of August. Please call 510-981- 6236 for more information. Adult programming brought to you by the Art & Music Department Wednesdays, 12-1 pm 2090 Kittredge at Shattuck, 4th Floor Story Room
- 15. Teen Homework Caf Need a quiet place to study and do homework? Join us for a Homework Caf for all teens, middle-school through college. Snacks will be served and group projects and study are welcome! Wednesdays, 2-4pm 2940 Benvenue Avenue
- 16. THING MAKE SOME Wednesdays, 3pm - 4pm North Branch 1170 The Alameda at Hopkins A different project every week! This event is open to all teens! Supplies and refreshments provided!
- 17. Teen Reading Club Image:Rstoplabe14aten.wikipedia Has it been a while since you read the Harry Potter series? Maybe you missed the train to Hogwarts the first time around and have never read any of the books! Join our new book club and revisit modern classics of Young Adult literature (beginning with the complete Harry Potter series) to see how our old favorites stand the test of time. March 4 Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone March 11 Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets March 18 Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (Chapters TBA) March 25 Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (Chapters TBA) April 1 Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Chapters TBA) Wednesdays @3:30pm 2940 Benvenue @Ashby
- 18. Free SAT prep class We'll meet for six consecutive Wednesdays beginning February 4. Space is limited to 20. Juniors get priority. Registration is required. For more information call: 510-981-6135. Wednesdays, February 4 to March 11 @ 4-5:30pm 2090 Kittredge Street, 3rd Floor Electronic Classroom
- 19. The Claremont Book Club Every other month, the Claremont Book Club hosts a special Read and Share session. Bring a book you read to share, hear a few great reading ideas from other readers and get to know other members of the Claremont Book Club. Sponsored by Friends of the Berkeley Public Library www.berkeleylibraryfriends.org Wednesdays, Feb. 18, Apr. 15 & Jun. 17 @ 6:30-7:30 PM 2940 Benvenue @ Ashby
- 20. Board Games, Wii U, Magic: The Gathering, Card Games and so much more! Refreshments provided, all teens welcome! Thursdays @ 4-5 pm North Branch, 1170 The Alameda T EE N A EG M S
- 21. Teen Homework Caf Need a quiet place to study and do homework? Join us for a Homework Caf for all teens, middle-school through college. Snacks will be served and group projects and study are welcome! Thursdays, 4-5:30pm 1901 Russell Street
- 22. Second Thursday of the month @ 6:30pm Claremont Branch, 2940 Benvenue Our poetry program at Claremont features YOU and what YOU like. Well take turns in a reading circle. Bring a poem or find one here.
- 23. Lawyers in the Library Sign-ups start at 5:00 for a spot with our visiting Lawyer. Names will be pulled at random at 6:00 for appointment times. Third Thursday of the month, 6-7:45 PM 1170 The Alameda
- 24. Lawyers in the Library Sign-ups start at 5 PM for a spot with our visiting lawyer. Names will be pulled at random at 6 PM for appointment times. Fourth Thursday of the month, 6-7:45 PM 1901 Russell St.
- 25. AARP Tax Help Free tax preparation and e-filing is available to all individuals and families with low to moderate income with special attention to those 60 and older. Tax Aide tax preparers are AARP volunteers that are IRS tested and certified each year. Available by appointment with any walk-ins served on the basis of available vacancies and no shows. Please call 510-981-6260 or ask at the desk to book your appointment. Fridays, Feb. 6 Apr. 10 @10:30am-1:30pm 1901 Russell St.
- 26. LEGO in the Library! First Friday of the month, @3:30-5 pm 2090 Kittredge Street, 4th Flr. Childrens Story Room Image licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 2.0 Generic license
- 27. Lawyers in the Library Sign-ups start the prior evening. For a spot with our visiting lawyer, call Thursday evening (6:00 pm - 7:30 pm) to sign-up or drop-in on Friday morning, while the lawyer is present. Call 510-981-6270 for more information. Second Friday of the month, @10-11:30 am 1125 University Ave.
- 28. Maker Space First Saturday of the month @2-5 pm 1170 The Alameda Come one, come all for an afternoon of crafting! Bring a project and sewing machine, or come for inspiration. The library provides two sewing machines, embroidery hoops, floss, and needles, clay, beads, hot glue guns, and much more...including inspiration! Check out Berkeley Public Library on Pinterest to see what we've been up to...
- 29. Baby Bounce & Toddler Tales Songs, lap-bounces, tickles and stories for babies and toddlers 6 mos 35 mos and their parent(s) or caregiver. Three-year-olds are welcome with a younger sibling. Questions? Call 510-981-6270 or visit: berkeleypubliclibrary.org First 3 Saturdays of the month, @10:15-10:45 am 1125 University Avenue
- 30. Family Story Time Join our children's librarians for stories, songs and other activities! A great way to rediscover favorite titles and meet some of the best new books for early listeners, ages 3-7. Call 510-981-6223 for more information. Saturdays, 10:30-11am 2090 Kittredge St., Childrens Room
- 31. Islamic Art Exhibit Women in Islam Islamic Art Exhibit presents a group art exhibition "Women in Islam" highlighting the rights, status and accomplishments of Muslim women through original artwork by local artists from the Bay Area Muslim community. A
View more >