2013 2014 opening day ppt
of 16 /16
Embed Size (px)
- Welcome toWelcome to SOMS Orchestra!SOMS Orchestra! Your teacherYour teacher Mr. RotjanMr. Rotjan
- Attendance andAttendance and Note Card ActivityNote Card Activity Last name, First NameLast name, First Name Write 3 things that you did over the summer (Were anyWrite 3 things that you did over the summer (Were any musical?)musical?) What makes you unique?What makes you unique? List the names of 3 people,List the names of 3 people, who play the samewho play the same instrumentinstrument, that you would like to sit next to this year., that you would like to sit next to this year.
- Our Orchestra Schedule!Our Orchestra Schedule! Period 5: Grade 6 (Symphonic Orchestra)Period 5: Grade 6 (Symphonic Orchestra) Period 7: Grade 7 (Concert Orchestra)Period 7: Grade 7 (Concert Orchestra) Period 9: Grade 8 (Concert Orch)Period 9: Grade 8 (Concert Orch) Orchestra meets EVERY DAYOrchestra meets EVERY DAY for some of you, and every other dayfor some of you, and every other day for othersfor others
- Lesson ScheduleLesson Schedule You will have a lesson every *2 weeks*You will have a lesson every *2 weeks* It will rotate throughout the dayIt will rotate throughout the day Lesson attendance and preparation countLesson attendance and preparation count towards your quarter gradetowards your quarter grade
- Lesson Grading SheetLesson Grading Sheet
- PracticePractice ___ practice makes perfect!___ practice makes perfect! Each student will complete a practice log to hand inEach student will complete a practice log to hand in every month. There are alternate assignments for 7every month. There are alternate assignments for 7thth /8/8thth graders.graders. A Parent/Guardian must sign the sheet weekly toA Parent/Guardian must sign the sheet weekly to verify your practice timeverify your practice time 66thth graders: 75 minutes/week (15 min/day, 5graders: 75 minutes/week (15 min/day, 5 days/week)days/week) 77thth /8/8thth graders: 100 minutes week (20 min/day, 5graders: 100 minutes week (20 min/day, 5 days/week)days/week)
- GradingGrading 25% Lesson attendance and grades25% Lesson attendance and grades 15% Practice Log15% Practice Log 15% Rehearsal and Concert attendance15% Rehearsal and Concert attendance 25% Mastery of Music25% Mastery of Music (playing tests, quizzes,(playing tests, quizzes, written quizzes)written quizzes) 20% Class effort/participation20% Class effort/participation
- SuppliesSupplies Recommended:Recommended: All instrumentsAll instruments: smooth, untreated cloth for cleaning (clean handkerchief,: smooth, untreated cloth for cleaning (clean handkerchief, cloth)cloth) RosinRosin Violinists/violistsViolinists/violists (ONLY if you play a full size instrument) should use a(ONLY if you play a full size instrument) should use a shoulder rest (i.e. KUN brand)shoulder rest (i.e. KUN brand) CellistsCellists should have a strap or rock stop for home practiceshould have a strap or rock stop for home practice Books (strongly recommended but not required):Books (strongly recommended but not required): 66thth grade: Essential Elementsgrade: Essential Elements Book 2Book 2 for violin, viola, cello, or bassfor violin, viola, cello, or bass Authors: Gillespie, Hayes, AllenAuthors: Gillespie, Hayes, Allen 77thth / 8/ 8thth grade: Essential Techniques 2000grade: Essential Techniques 2000 Book 3Book 3 for violin, viola, cello, or bassfor violin, viola, cello, or bass Authors: Gillespie, Hayes, AllenAuthors: Gillespie, Hayes, Allen
- Classroom Rules and ProceduresClassroom Rules and Procedures The 3 Bs of SOMS Be Responsible, BeThe 3 Bs of SOMS Be Responsible, Be Respectful, Be PreparedRespectful, Be Prepared Arrive on time and do the right thingArrive on time and do the right thing Work to the best of yourWork to the best of your ability!ability!
- ConcertsConcerts There are 2 major concerts There are 2 major concerts winter and springwinter and spring Some groups play for CLE/TZE/WOSSome groups play for CLE/TZE/WOS Chamber Orchestra plays with TZHSChamber Orchestra plays with TZHS NYSSMA Solo RecitalNYSSMA Solo Recital All-County Orchestra FestivalsAll-County Orchestra Festivals Senior Citizen PerformancesSenior Citizen Performances
- Extra Credit OpportunitiesExtra Credit Opportunities Attend a concert (show me the program)Attend a concert (show me the program) Assist in running the orchestra roomAssist in running the orchestra room -student conductor, sectionals, attendance,-student conductor, sectionals, attendance, etcetc Concert Suggestions:Concert Suggestions: New York PhilharmonicNew York Philharmonic New Jersey SymphonyNew Jersey Symphony Rockland SymphonyRockland Symphony Metropolitan OperaMetropolitan Opera City BalletCity Ballet Concerts at Carnegie HallConcerts at Carnegie Hall
- Additional Music OpportunitiesAdditional Music Opportunities All County FestivalsAll County Festivals NYSSMA Solo FestivalNYSSMA Solo Festival SOMS MusicalSOMS Musical Chamber OrchestraChamber Orchestra Southern Hudson Valley Youth SymphonySouthern Hudson Valley Youth Symphony Electronic Music / Composition ProjectsElectronic Music / Composition Projects
- Other EventsOther Events Thanksgiving Pie Sale (fundraiser)Thanksgiving Pie Sale (fundraiser) Music Department Field TripMusic Department Field Trip Other Events TBDOther Events TBD
- Playing your partPlaying your part
- Assignment #1Assignment #1 Course expectations and letter go home toCourse expectations and letter go home to your parent/guardian.your parent/guardian. You are expected toYou are expected to read them as well.read them as well. Find a locker buddy in your class and splitFind a locker buddy in your class and split the cost of a combination lock. Bring thethe cost of a combination lock. Bring the lock to your next class.lock to your next class.
- Lets Have a Great Year!!Lets Have a Great Year!!