19.3 - west africa
Post on 19-May-2015
Embed Size (px)
DESCRIPTIONA look at west Africa.
- 1. West Africa
2. West Africa: 3.
- Trading Empires
- There were three big ones in this area: Ghana, Mali, and Songhai (in that order).
- All traded gold and salt and taxed traders who passed through their land on trade routes through the Sahara.
- Stateless Society
- There are many stateless societies around here.
- A stateless society is a people of one lineage or family who trace their descent back to one person.
- This is different from a stateless nation, which is a people who share the same culture and nationalistic identity.
- An example is the Igbo.
- The economies in this area struggle quite a bit.
- A big reason is political instability that leads to civil wars.
- Sierra Leone, for example, while having a lot of diamonds, does not have a developed infrastructure.
- There was also a UN ban on the sale of Sierra Leone diamonds due to the warring and corrupt governments.
- The Ashanti are known for their intricate kente cloth
- And their stools
- Some tribes, such as the Igbo, also made masks.
- The Benin were known for the terra cotta:
- And their bronzes
15. 16. 17.