1 week 4 : “editing sentence fragments “ matakuliah: editing tahun: 2006 versi: 01/01
out of 8
Post on 21-Dec-2015
Embed Size (px)
- Slide 1
- 1 Week 4 : Editing Sentence Fragments Matakuliah: EDITING Tahun: 2006 Versi: 01/01
- Slide 2
- 2 Learning Outcomes The students are expexted to be able to use editing system to find and correct the mistakes in sentence fragments.
- Slide 3
- 3 Introduction The students are expected to understand that: A sentence fragment tries its best to be a sentence, but it just cant make it. Its missing something. Often, its missing a verb or part of a verb string: John working extra hard on his hook shot lately. Here, for instance, were missing an auxiliary has been, in this case, probably that would complete the verb string and the sentence.
- Slide 4
- 4 Incomplete Verb, Part Two The students are expected to understand that: A sentence fragment tries its best to be a sentence, but it just cant make it. Its missing something. Often, its missing a verb or part of a verb string: Spending hours every day after school and even on weekends. This time were missing a whole verb. Spending is a participle wanting to modify something, but there is no subject-verb relationship within the sentence.K
- Slide 5
- 5 Editing Sentence Fragments The students are expected to understand that: Sometimes a sentence fragment can give you a great deal of information, but its still not a complete sentence. After the coach encouraged him so much last year and he seemed to improve with each passing game. Here we have a subject-verb relationship in fact, we have two of them but the entire clause is subordinated by the dependent word after. We have no independent clause. :
- Slide 6
- 6 Editing Sentence Fragments Be alert for strings of prepositional phrases that never get around to establishing a subject-verb relationship: Immediately after the founding of the college and during those early years as the predominant educational institution in the American Midwest. Again, be careful of sentences which give their share of information but still dont contain a subject and verb. The students are expected to understand that:
- Slide 7
- 7 Editing Sentence Fragments The students are expected to understand that: If they still have problems identifying sentence fragments and repairing them, it might be helpful to review the material in the Guide to Grammar and Writing on CLAUSESPHRASESCLAUSESPHRASES (and the types of sentences in) SENTENCE VARIETY
- Slide 8
- 8 Avoiding Sentence Fragments Now you never again will have trouble with sentence fragments!
View more >