1 community pharmacy
Post on 06-Oct-2015
Embed Size (px)
COMMUNITY PHARMACYDR. MOHAMED EMAMLECTURER INCLINICAL PHARMACY DEPARTMENTFACULTY OF PHARMACY BANI SUEF UNIVERSITY
HEALTHHealth is a word very familiar to us but it also carries a lot of complications and problems. According to the World Health Organization (WHO), health is a state of complete physical, mental and social well-being and not merely absence of any illness. To make the above definition of health practical we have to depend upon a "health care team".
HEALTH CONTA health care team is the group of people who share a common health goal and common objectives determined by community needs.Egypt with a great cultural diversity, health though an important issue is being neglected due to many interferences.
HEALTH CONTThe condition is further worsened due to insignificant drug use problems. On the presence of many false, duplicate and adulterated drugs, it is in the hands of the pharmacist particularly the community pharmacist, to take up the challenge for providing better health care and better outcomes economically.
PERCEPTIONS OF PHARMACISTS
How do others see us?
A bunch of shop-keepers
Just tell me how and when to use the Medicine and nothing else
Not really health care practitioners werebusinessmen
Do you need a degree to be a pharmacist?
COMMUNITY PHARMACYCommunity pharmacy is a pharmacy (commonly named the chemist in Australia, New Zealand and UK; or drugstore in USA; retail pharmacy in industry terminology; or Apothecary, historically) is the place where most pharmacists practice the profession of pharmacy. It is the community pharmacy where two professions exists health professionals who are also retailers.Community pharmacies usually consist of a retail storefront with a dispensary where medications are stored and dispensed.
COMMUNITY PHARMACYThe dispensary is subject to pharmacy legislation; with requirements for storage conditions, compulsory texts, equipment, etc., specified in legislation. Pharmacy with compounding/dispensing medications; there is an increasing trend towards the use of trained pharmacy technicians while the pharmacist spends more time communicating with patients.
COMMUNITY PHARMACY CONTAll pharmacies are required to have a pharmacist on-duty at all times when open. In many countries like in Egypt, it is a requirement that the owner of a pharmacy must be a registered pharmacist.
COMMUNITY PHARMACY CONTHowever in some countries this latter requirement has been canceled, such that many retailers (including supermarkets and mass merchandisers) now include a pharmacy as a department of their store.Likewise, many pharmacies are now rather grocery store-like in their design. In addition to medicines and prescriptions, many now sell a various arrangement of additional household items such as cosmetics, shampoo and confectionary.
COMMUNITY PHARMACISTA community pharmacist is the professional who would be in direct access to the public and whose duties are widely desired by the public and patients. He dispenses medicines with a prescription and in certain cases without a prescription where applicable (OTC drugs). As he is the person who will be in direct contact with the public, he has to play an important role in decreasing the mortality and morbidity in the public.
COMMUNITY PHARMACISTCommunity pharmacy practice evolved after second World War period. A pharmacist not only began to perform functions that were new to pharmacy, but they began to innovate functions and make original contribution to literature. But unfortunately the role of community pharmacist is not so much recognized till today especially in Egypt and needs strong efforts.
ROLES OF COMMUNITY PHARMACISTNutrition CounselingWomen Welfare-Pregnancy and Infant Care Rational Use of DrugsCommunicating With Other Healthcare ProvidersFamily planningAlcohols, Drug Abuse and Smoking CessationIndividualization of Drug Therapy
1. NUTRITION COUNSELING
Community pharmacist can make, significant contributions in assuring adequate nutrition by advising his patients about basic food needs, keeping to correct improper food habits in children advising on special requirements, e.g. person who often eat fish or omega-3-fatty acids are less likely to suffer strokesuggesting special diet instructions for diabetic patients and people with food allergy
2. WOMEN WELFARE-PREGNANCY AND INFANT CAREWomen are the cornerstone for effective public health and investing in women translate into investing in family, community and the Nation.A woman goes through different stages throughout her life, each of which has specific need The presence of a counselor is needed in each one of them. The pharmacist who understands the normal course of pregnancy and infancy is at a distinct advantage as he or she can guide the mother in simple matters of hygiene and management.
2. WOMEN WELFARE-PREGNANCY AND INFANT CARE CONTThe community pharmacist can encourage breastfeeding and can play a major role by guiding the mother for the protection of the child by following proper immunization schedule.The US FDA's office of women's health has created "women's health: take time to care; A national public awareness campaign, where apart from giving information about safe medicine use, they also hold local interactive sessions led by pharmacists and other health care professionals. http://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ByAudience/ForWomen/default.htm
3. RATIONAL USE OF DRUGSA community pharmacist can also advise on the administration of the medication, provide information on the storage of the medication and wherever necessary he can counsel the patient. Education regarding the disadvantage of polypharmacy can also be given to the patient. Drug information system should be set up and access to adverse drug reaction system should be made. A community pharmacist should do therapeutic drug monitoring and he should have a sound knowledge of genotype reporting i.e. predictive pharmacology.
3. RATIONAL USE OF DRUGS CONTThere is yet another role of the community pharmacist in Egypt and that is enhancing the availability of essential drugs. Nearly 70% population in Egypt is deprived of essential drugs for a variety of reasons including non-availability of health professionals and improper professional advice about the usage of drugs. One pharmacist for two thousand persons can improve access to medicines and their safe utilizations. The existing pool of community pharmacist can become an important instrument in bringing about this change. For setting higher standard for pharmacy practice in the country the essential drug list should be received by the government to enquire them.
4. COMMUNICATING WITH OTHER HEALTHCARE PROVIDERS Clarify prescriptions with prescribers Is Rantidine 300mg added to the existing Rantidine 150mg or replacing it? Discuss potential for drug interactions with different prescribers Dr. Mahmoud prescribed Aspirin 300mg four times daily for a pregnant woman while this cause cleft lip to the fetus. Primary care physician Dr. Samir recently prescribed Erythromycin with theophylline while the Erythromycin inhabits the clearance of the theophylline increasing its blood concentration.
5. FAMILY PLANNINGOne of the greatest needs of the hour is to control the tremendously increasing population in Egypt. A community pharmacist is the one who can control this rising population by counseling with people and doing programs which exhibit the problems related with large families. He can tell the various families planning measures that are available in the market at affordable prices. He can educate the people and convince them about the advantages of having small families.
6. ALCOHOLS, DRUG ABUSE AND SMOKING CESSATIONThe diseases of alcoholism and drug abuse also come under the preview of the community pharmacist. The pharmacist has a key role to help individuals who become dependent upon alcohol and tobacco. Drug abuse is similar to alcoholism yet different because it has been gaining more acceptances among young people.
6. ALCOHOLS, DRUG ABUSE AND SMOKING CESSATION CONTAnnual mortality from tobacco use exceeds that from all other causes combined. Smoking is the greatest single unnecessary cause of morbidity and mortality in the world. It is the responsibility of a community pharmacist to take an active role in helping the smokers to stop smoking. The pharmacist can advise on the products available to assist the patient in giving up smoking. Counseling sessions can be made by the community pharmacist to stop smoking.
7. INDIVIDUALIZATION OF DRUG THERAPYToday the latest concept in medicine is towards individualization of drug therapy. Where well judged patient care is needed individualization of drug therapy becomes a need, and a pharmacist can play a vital role in this.
7. INDIVIDUALIZATION OF DRUG THERAPYA physician, who is worried about patient diagnosis and treatment, may not spare time for patient counseling regarding pharmacoeconomics, drug information, alternative therapy, proper supporting etc. A pharmacist can provide consultation to the patient by checking the patient history, allergies and other details necessary for therapy so that the concept of individualization of drug therapy could be implemented.
MEDICATION COUNSELINGProvide medication benefits and directions for use What time of day to take certain medications Assess how the medication is working Have the symptoms been improvingInform about any side effectsDiscuss expectations and management Inquire about other concomitant medicationsScreen for drug interactions